Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: clean install with upgrade disk?

Well, now I'm confused. These two pages at M$
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ing/matrix.asp
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...ing/matrix.asp
    indicate Win95 is not eligible for upgrade to either version of XP. (as was indicated on the product boxes I have read)

But in the MSKB there are several questions concerning upgrades from Win95...........

What's up with that??
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Well Mr. C, there is definitely something wrong with the info on that link. Might I venture to say the same about the 'official' qualifying products in general. It says that you can't upgrade the XP Home edition from Windows 2000 professional, but during my installation it asked for any previous qualifying products, and win2k was listed as one of them. Sure enough, I inserted my OEM Win2k CD and it took it.

I haven't tried upgrading an existing windows 2000 setup to XP with the Home Ed, and maybe that's where the rule applies. I usually wipe the HD clean and start from scratch. In that scenario, almost all previous windows CDs apply. I will try tonight with 95 to confirm/deny it's eligibility.

Mozez

Mr. C----and others

You cannot upgrade from Win95 but a Win95 CD can be a
    proof that you can do a clean install with a qualifying product.
    Been there --done it.

Thanks for clearing that up xpadvisor - it makes sense the way you put it:thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

makes sense

i fail to see why someone would still be using win95 to upgrade it in the first place if there computer is capable of running XP..

I can...

Our networked system uses Win95 for the PCs hooked up to it. It has to do with IT folks who don't want to learn a new OS, but want to limit the functionality of a computer. So it is possible to have a Win95 system and upgrade to XP. And it looks like we may finally be able to dump Win95 soon on our system and go with XP. Here's hoping that it changes!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Beefy Guest

IT people that don't wanna learn a new OS? most IT people I know jump at the chance to upgrade.. Usually so they can have more fun with new features themselves.. Hmm.. when am I gonna upgrade to XP at work.. haven't got anything scheduled tomorrow.. :)

But then again, in business it costs to upgrade OS's all the time.. that's something that I don't really think about.. My work place has an MLA (microsoft licensing agreement) where we can install any version of Windows or Office (both pre-XP) as many times as needed.... which is handy

The IT ppl who work on the PC's at work think Win 95 on 300MHz Celerons with 32MB of ram are more than enough even when they set the bloody things up to open 27 apps at startup.
    <center> </center>

i wonder if u can do the old point it back to itself trick that u can do with office upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    I can...

Our networked system uses Win95 for the PCs hooked up to it. It has to do with IT folks who don't want to learn a new OS, but want to limit the functionality of a computer. So it is possible to have a Win95 system and upgrade to XP. And it looks like we may finally be able to dump Win95 soon on our system and go with XP. Here's hoping that it changes!
    the reason for this is that it is bloody hard to try and support several different OS's (like we do at work win95, win98se, winNT, win2k & winXP - mine)
    so companies tend to do a mass migration to a different OS but this costs $$$$$ so it usually takes a while before they change over

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information