Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows update

I downloaded the corporate version of XP Pro like most people but was having problems with the OS so I purchased the XP Pro upgrade retail version which I tried to install of XP Pro Corp however I don't believe it took as my serial number didn't change. The problem I have is when I go to windows update I get the checking for latest version of windows update software screen and it never loads it just keeps going in a loop and continues to check for latest version of windows update software. I tried to change the key to my retail key using the XP SP1 update for pirated XP but it told me that the key was invalid. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get windows update to work.

Two words...reformat, reinstall.

Is there any other way as I don't want to reformat my hard drive as I have alot of info and settings that I don;t care to lose.

I don't know of any way. Windows Update is specifically designed not to work when it detects a pirated copy. Even if you rectify this later, it remains disabled.

For more than just the Windows Update problem I would highly recommend you find some way of backing up your data and do a clean reformat and reinstall.

Thread Information