Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What are the benifits?

Hello All,

I once say something on a message board, but I don't remember what one.

It said about giving Windows XP its own hard drive, so it would have more space and memery to run on, in hopes of making it run better is this true? When you give xp or any program for that matter more memery and space, it runs quicker?

I practice tweaking as a hobby, just the stuff like improving the quilty of how stable your computer is, as well as speed.

I was wondering what the effect I would get if I create a partition out of, my c: drive (only hard drive) to run xp off of, because like everyone knows xp is a very large program, and it needs alot of space and memery to run well.

I currently have it installed like you would, normally install your main operating system on your c: or other main drive.

Would I get negitive results from running, xp from a partitioned section, or is it very pron to having problems?

If anyone has done this or has experience with computers and knows how the result, I would get would you please post.

And if this is a good idea how do I go about removing the current installtion of xp, and turning the xp on the partition the source?

Oh and one last thing I would like to make the unpartitioned section of, my c: drive fully workable just without a operating system, I want to use it for file and program uses.

If you could also recamend a good freeware program, that would make partitioning my drive easy, please share the link with me on where I can find it.

Thanks for reading my message i'm sorry that it was so long.

JB

In theory, having your Operating System on its own partition or Hard-Drive is faster.

In the real-world however, youll be hard-pressed to actually notice any speed differences between the 2 scenarios.

It also depends on how you use your computer, and what type of system you have. Typically, the larger the hdd, the more the need to partition off space for specific tasks. eg- Partition for the OS, partition for data, partition for programs etc.

Windows 2000/XP has a neato partition management system built-in via the Management Console. Partition Magic is another popular software package but it isnt free. There is a demo/trial version however that will let you do (nearly) everything, and considering you will partition your hdd(s) once in a blue moon, the demo should be adequate.

I run XP and Office from a 4-5GB partition and everything else goes on another. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I normally use my computer for surfing the web, school and handling email, once in a great while i'll play a game or two but not very often, I am also interested it starting building a dynamic webpage for myself.

Here are my computer's stats, I customized it myself by getting bigger and better hardware.

633MHz (Runs at 631 MHz don't know why), Intel Celeron processor, 320 MB of RAM, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002.

I am going to be doing some minor adjustments, to how my computer runs however, I have decided to put multiable users on my computer, so I can more easy get around by organizing the sections of my computer, like games, internet and email, webpage that kind of thing.
    633mhz, 319.0mb ram, 15.0gb hard.

It runs at 631MHz because the clock generator for the bus is not exactly 66MHz but probably something like 65.8Mhz ....just a mobo peculiarity....my KT133A mobo runs default at 133.64 instsead of 133????
    The older I get...the better I was

Thread Information