Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: un-cancelable xp re-instal

ok, the other day i was being crazy with my computer and crashed it realy badly, resulting in repeated restarts and changes to my HHD being made by windows. the result was some important program files ended up being lost and windows being slow and half broken. :snip:

to fix this i attemted to reinstall windows xp over itself. foolish move as it would crash apon the restart to scan my system and begin install. regardless of all this, i fixed all my problems in other easier ways. however, since i am running a dual boot config with xp and '98 (for compatability issues, soon i will rid '98 tho), there is now the third (and now default) option on start up which is to continue the attempted reinstal, this is crap as it will never work. it only gives me 4 seconds to choose what i want to do, start 98 xp or intall.

id like to know how i can tell windows to forget that attempt and rid myself of this futile option, so i can be normal and turn the computer on and walk away without having to babysit it to make sure it doesnt automatically choose install and crash. help anyone? please and thanks. :shoot3:

have you tryed this in xp
    my computer- right click, click properties, click advanced tab,click settings on (startup and recovery)here you can set time to display list of operating systems-or- you can edit your boot loader, just back out what you dont want to load and save it (o:
    hope this helps

thanks, that worked great for changing the time allowed and default load option.

but i then searched for the folder that contained the BOOTSECT.DAT file that was being used for the setup attempt and deleted (not totaly yet, still in trash) the whole folder saved all changes and restarted, but here it is again, not the default but the option. so if i deleted that whole folder how can it be running it again? should i trash it all or is there another place where i need to edit something?

windows can be can be confusing to remember were one options so similar to others is, when it should be with the others.
    :(

thanks again

ps- would the "/fastdetect" bit have something to do with where the command may still reside?

ok never mind. it took a few tries and re-deleting the command lines, but its worked now. now i wonder where all setup files are so i can make sure they're not taking up room.

no worries:thumb:

Thread Information