Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win98, ideas for blocking video games

Looking for some suggestions...

I'm looking for a way to block the installation/download of video games on win98. I know this is very broad. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how I can go about doing this.

Thanks ahead.

Disconnect the internet and all removable media drives from the PC and hope that that is enough. ;)

In other words it is impossible :confused:

I can't recall for sure, but I don't think you have enough options for limiting a user under Win98... even if you use profiles. WinXP can have this power (at least in the Pro version), but I don't think so in Win98. If anyone can show me otherwise, I'd certainly be interested in knowing how. Could come in real handy for a couple of the systems at work. They are constantly being abused by the users, but no recourse ever happens. :(
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

One suggestion I've gotten has been to put in an older video card. I thought that was interesting.

How could I block them if I used XP?

Under NT based Windows oses you can setup user accounts and restrict those accounts however you like as you'll be the Admin. Going to the NTFS file system adds even more security. ;)

You could prevent FTP transactions thru a firewall ??? maybe.....that'd stop the downloads
    but as for just straight installation ... hmmm .... disable the floppy in the bios?? maybe ...if its a floppy based install
    Or you could use partition magic or something to reduce the partition size to exactly what it is now so there's no room to install??

Some ideas...may not work
    The older I get...the better I was

and port 20 as well maybe
    The older I get...the better I was

Well you could disconnect the computer from the internet. Then you could get a case that has a locking front panel. If they break the panel they can get in big trouble. I know this wouldnt entirely stop a person that REALLY wants to do this but it will deter most people.
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information