Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Advanced Prop's in Hardware Mgr

For some reason, on my third machine running WinXP (2 run home, one runs Pro), the Advanced Properties in the Hardware Manager for the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers is not there...while it is on my other two machines.
    Can anyone explain this?????? And how do I fix it?

Also..... " gpedit.msc " is not available on my two XPHome machines while it is on my XPPro.

Any comments?

Thanks mucho

P4 2.26Ghz (533 Mhz FSB)
    1Gb PC2100 DDR
    80 Gb Seagate 7200Rpm ATA100
    GForce 4 MX440 64Mb DDR (will soon be Ti4600 128MB DDR!!!)
    SB Live 5.1 X-Gamer

:flames:

While XPpro and XPhome are very much the same they have some differences. There are some extra things built into pro that make it more suitable and more customizable for the work place. You just happened to stumble across those few things. Also under administrative settings half the things aren't there in home as well.

Yeah I know...I should probably upgrade all of them to Pro.
    But then again....
    I'm still wondering why the two Home machines aren't the same.... Hardware Mgr>>> IDE ATA/ATAPI>>>Properties>>>
    One has an Advanced tab to modify whether one is DMA, the other not.

???
    Is there a registry tweak for this?

oooooh oh no I wouldn't why the two home machines are different. Were they configured differently maybe? But ya the best option would be too bring them both to professional status. Maybe someone would be able to help you with the home issue. I use professional and never needed the registry for that type of setting so I wouldn't know.

Thanks for the info....you're right, I should upgrade, buuuuut...you know...the whole XP Corp thing... my Homes are legit, my Pro is kinda.....not

This is a guess, but my first thought is that the machine without the options does not have the proper chipset drivers loaded. The ide drivers should convey to Windows what the capabilities are. Generic drivers would offer few features for safety and stability. Try donwloading and installing the latest mobo drivers for that machine. Let us know it this works.

Sounds good...but unfortuantely it's an Intel board...
    Trying to find chipset drivers for Intel is like pulling teeth with a set of horse hoof trimming shears.

Well I got it... I upgraded to XP Pro, and bang! There it was...but then I noticed....HEY! My drives are running at P10 mode, and I can't change them over to DMA....
    OH Yeah...the Intel Application Accelerator and the latest INF files...right!
    Chug, chug chug, and away we go....okay running DMA mode now.... but wait...where did the Advanced properties go???? S**T!!!
    So I figured it out.
    With the IAA, it takes control of the drives, forcing them to DMA exclusively, and doesn't let you change it.
    Makes sense, no?
    Thanks for the advice.

Thread Information