Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting from drive E:

I have 2 hard drives, which should be identical, (Norton Ghost) but now I have noticed that Windows XP boots from drive E: not C:, if I remove deive E: then the system will not boot.
    Also if I swap the drives I still have the same problem.
    Question is how do I get the system to boot from drive c:?

Cheers

Ken

I'm going to assume that your trying to dual boot with windows xp and windows xp. Or is drive C blank and the OS is loaded on drive E? Because you said they were identical so I can only assume that Xp is loaded on both.

Just as a quick suggestion bring up the start up and recovery settings. You should see two OSes. One of them loads from E the other loads from C. You can edit the boot.ini file from there and pick which one you want to maintain priority. If this doesn't work then you may have to take a step higher. There maybe something else as another quick solution but I'm not sure. Just try that and let us know how it goes.

A little more info might help. Was the E drive the original one? Did you use Ghost to mirror the drive or create an image (iso - which is not bootable). Does the C drive have an active partition? When you swap the drives, do you change the jumpers? Are they on the same ide channel? What is the boot order in the bios?

Just to clarify, I have two hard drives, normally I would boot from drive C:.
    For back-up I have a second identical 40meg hard drive, copy of c: via Norton Ghost.

But the system, which was working fine for months, now insistes on booting from E:

I don't want to dual boot.

Did you change anything like what bigjackusa wants to know you have?

Did you go into start up and recovery like I asked?

You say that they are identical I can only assume that you have an OS loaded on both. If so problems like this CAN happen. Especially if they are both powerful NT-Based OSes.

Did you change the boot order in the bios?

Did you change the switches on one of them from master to slave?

Just a couple of things to check.

I switch the jumpers when I swap the drives. How do I get to "start up and recovery"? From the original CD?
    Both drives have bootable partitions, running WinXP

Start up and recovery is on the advanced tab in the properties of my computer.

Startup & Recovery file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Which is normal, I suppose!

ya that's what I have. I don't think it will tell you which drive is \windows and which drive its not. You should see two OSes listed in that drop down menu. One windows xp pro the other windows xp pro fast detect. Select one and see which drive it boots on. THen the other. This may or may not fix the problem but again its just a suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information