Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?concerning dual booting

Hello,
    I am new here,and am searching for a community that is very receptive to people needing assistance. I like to "tinker with things",and when they dont work as expected I am curious as to why. Seems like most of the computers forums these days are almost to the saturation point with technical issues. I am looking for someplace more tolerant of the "hobbyist" pc user. Could this be the place? I dont mind reading,and doing my own legwork,sometimes I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

I think you'll find answers for your questions, but did you have one pertaining to the title? Dual booting?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

As Darth said...you'll find answers for many if not all your questions...but is there any real point to this thread...?
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Yes........:)
    My supervisor appeared suddenly,and I hit submit instead of close. Sorry or the confusion.
    Is it possible to have a dual boot system with XP on one physical drive,and 98SE on another,that will give you the bootloader screen regardless of which drive is set to boot in the bios.I think it might be possible ,but wanted to ask before I went through the hassle of re-installing,and possibly reformatting. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Well I never did so long as the Win 9x operating system goes on first. ;)

Those supervisors can be pesky at times can't they? :D
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yep... like Wiggo stated above, Win98 HAS to be installed first. If you do it the other way around, Win98 will overwrite some important system files in the boot sector and it will ruin the XP install.

Install Win98 (probably do this on C:\ just to be safe). From there, you can load up WinXP and it will recognize the Win98 drive and then you just choose your other physical drive for the installation of XP.

When you boot up, you should have a screen that asks which OS to load up and a timer that counts down. If you don't choose either OS, then the default OS will load (I believe WinXP is the default here).

Good luck. :)
    My Toys

O.k.......That part works fine as long as I boot from the drive that Win98 is on.If I boot from the other hdd,I get a "no o.s. found" message. I think that because I was originally in the win98 ,which is on the slave drive,the bootloader went to "C" ,even though XP went to "D" drive. I am gonna do a new install with nothing but the other hdd installed and see if I can get the bootloader on the master. I want both options for either drive if I can make it work.

Even thought you have WinXP installed onto the second drive, there are still some system files loaded onto the C:\ drive. This is a necessity since when the system starts up, it looks at the boot sector on the boot drive. This is the only way you will get the choice.

I may have misunderstood your original intent, but if you have a drive with Win98 loaded and another drive with WinXP loaded, there is no way that I am aware of to get the choice screen you're asking about (maybe a program like System Commander? Dunno). This is created when you perform the second OS install (WinXP).
    My Toys

I know how it is when your trying to understand what someone is trying to say when they are trying to put thoughts into words....:)
    I think you might have cleared up some confusion by pointing out that even though an install of an additional o.s. is taking place on another drive,some files are put on "C" drive as well.
    I simply wanted to generate a bootloader screen regardless of what order the hdd's were set to boot from.
    I'm wondering if I can install xp on a drive configured as a single,and get the custom install to generate a bootloader screen? This way xp would be on "C" drive. I am not sure if another o.s. has to be present somewhere in order for xp to co-operate with my "master plan".Sorry for the 20 question routine.I just hate to be outsmarted by a piece of software..lol

I think from what you're sayin' you would be better off with System Commander boot loader. You can install this 1st and then it will manage the operating systems that you install. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information