Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheres my ram going?!!!

Hey all wondering if anyone has any idea whats up with my system, lately ive noticed that the longer i leave it running the slower it gets until its literally crawling by about 2 hours time. As this is a brand new computer im worried and guessed it could be a ram problem so i got a ram measuring tool (mem defrag). This shows a steady decline in free ram as programs use it and it doesnt come back as expected when these are closed. Even just explorer slowly drains it. Defragging the ram brings it back but it soons again drops off in a few minutes and windows repeatedly asks to increase the swapfile (virtual memory) to compensate which doesnt help much. Any help would be apreciated, thanks.

computer is: amd xp 2000+, Windows xp pro (and service pack 1), 256mb ddr 2700, sis 745 based chipset m board (msi), ge force 3 ti 200,

It is Borked. Destroy it.

Hehe hello mate :)

YOU BORKED IT YOU ******* BARRA! You snuck over and stuck a filter in my ram and stole it! just like you attached that giant network cable to my adsl back home!!!

I don't think PCs are for you. Go back to your hamster powered Macs :p :afro:

It wasnt hamster powered, i overclocked mine. With ferrets. On speed. Twas the fastest mac in the west. :devil:

Too bad there were no good games to put those ferrets to test :laugh:

Ok we should stop chatting in here. People might not come in thinking I've helped you solve the problem : party ha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Admin's edit: When you haven't.

Keep the chatter for the Beer Garden, guys.

~Osiris

WinXP doesn't have a memory leak problem. Just read my WinXP Tweak Guide and you'll find out all the major memory tweaks and how to use the best memory cache setting tool - Cacheman.

Also this can be caused by the amount of programs that you run and the amount of memory that you have. I use to have very similar probs till I added another 256MB and the probs disappeared. XP will run on 256MB of memory (with a cut down on running services) but much prefers 512MB to perform at it's best. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yeah, I'm planning to upgrade to 512 from 256 Wiggo, its just that its a clean copy of xp on a fresh system not bogged up with old hardware and programs and even if i cut all the programs off with endtask till im just on explorer i can see the ram drain away on the diagnostic reader, it never rises and 256mb of ddr 2700 should handle just explorer fine. Anyway thanks for the suggestions and i'll try Persians guide.:thumb:

I don't agree with previous comments that windows XP does not have memory leaks. In the past I have had to reformat my drive just because of leaks! My system would crash if I left it running over night! I found that my non-paged file space would increase over time until XP crashed. I traced the problem down to my ethernet card. If I disabled the card the system would run normally. As soon as I enabled the card the non-paged files would start increasing again. I tried to repair the card by deleting the driver and then re-installing the driver. However, the problem remained. I found out afterwards that there was a bug where the registry would not clean itself properly after deleting programs. Supposedly, the new SP1 should fix that bug.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information