Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Activation

I have a beef with Microsoft activation!

I bought one computer in november last year. This computer shipped with win XP. Over that year I have had to do several re-installation of XP. Mostly due to experiments with linux. However, twice I had to re-install due to memory leaks! I probably re-installed the operating system 5 times over that year. Stupidly, I always was in the habit of activating my copy as soon as XP was loaded. Three times that I can remember, I've had to wipe the drive after problems loading third party software. It takes 2 days to load all the software on my system and get everything configured properly.

So in all I may have activated the system a total of ten times since I bought the computer. The last time I tried to re-activate the computer I recieved a notice from Microsoft that I had to contact them to try to get a new activation license! The reason is that the code has been used too many times!

Fortunately, I had already bought a second desktop to run Linux on and was able to use that activation license from that pc to activate XP!

I am digusted by Microsoft! I feel they have no right to dictate how many times a user can activate windows! Especially since the activation has always been on the same computer! After all both XP operating systems were purchased legally!

At this point I can happily say that I am only using XP for games! XP does games really well. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about linux.

I am still forced to return to windows to play games but I do the rest of my computing using linux!

So once more gaming companies start supporting linux I will gladly say goodby to windows activation and delete windows XP.

I do agree that XP is the most stable windows available. Best version of windows on the market. Just microsoft has to remember who is paying their bills!

I own a leagle copy of XP Pro corprate, so i don't have to worry about that.
    Proof there are pros to working in the DoE.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

Thread Information