Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: xp sharing

in win xp whenever i try to restrict a folder by going to sharing through properties the 'Make this folder private' option cannot be selected. how come? how do i select it?
    thanks

Do you have more than a single user profile on that system? If I recall, this feature is to make the folder private between user profiles. If there is only one user for the machine, then there is nobody to keep it from from.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

erm ... oops
    your right
    sorry :) ... i wanted to restrict it before i made another account ... never thought of that

added the other accounts but still can't select the option.

Hmmm... I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable in the XP sharing parts than I am. That was my best bet on your problem.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

In order to limit control, you have to turn off simple sharing in your properties. Go to tools, and then options on the folder you want to change. Then, click view. That'll take you to a list of check boxes. The very bottom one, or down there somewhere should be, enable simple file sharing (recommended). Remove the checkmark, and that should enable you to get more specific on your sharing.

Northern GHost

Thread Information