Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgrading To XP; NTFS Question

I am going to be upgrading to XP from Windows 98SE with a fresh install. I would like to reformat both my hard drives to NTFS since I hear that is more speedy with XP.

How would I go about reformatting to NTFS before the actual XP installation? My drives are currently FAT32.

In my sig it says I have a 15gb 5200rpm drive, but I am replacing it with a newly bought 20gb 7200rpm drive and that will be my master while my 30gb 7200rpm will be my slave since it has more space and I feel more comfortable storing my stuff on there.
    |: OS Windows XP SP1 PSU Allied 400w CPU AMD Athlon XP 2000+ HSF TT Volcano 9 W/ Arctic Silver 3 RAM 384MB DDR PC2100
    |: HDs 2x Maxtor 30gb 7200RPM CD-RW Lite-On 40x12x48x MB MSI KT3 Ultra Audio Delta 44 Audio Card DVD Lite-On LTD-166S
    |: Video Albatron GeForce4 Ti4200P (40.72) NIC Linksys 10/100 NC100v2 Monitor 17" Samsung SyncMaster 763MB

Beefy Guest

When you go to install XP, it will give you the option of formatting that partition / drive as NTFS. Once you've done that and installed windows, you should be able to format your 2nd drive as NTFS then.

Or, if you really wanted to, you could start running the XP setup AGAIN, selecting the second drive and formatting through the setup, then quitting once it's finished, but I don't really recommend that.

Thanks beefy, helpful like always :)

So you guys think NTFS is better suited for XP than FAT32?
    |: OS Windows XP SP1 PSU Allied 400w CPU AMD Athlon XP 2000+ HSF TT Volcano 9 W/ Arctic Silver 3 RAM 384MB DDR PC2100
    |: HDs 2x Maxtor 30gb 7200RPM CD-RW Lite-On 40x12x48x MB MSI KT3 Ultra Audio Delta 44 Audio Card DVD Lite-On LTD-166S
    |: Video Albatron GeForce4 Ti4200P (40.72) NIC Linksys 10/100 NC100v2 Monitor 17" Samsung SyncMaster 763MB

Beefy Guest

Comes down to personal choice really. I run two hard drives in Windows XP using FAT32. Why? Because I like the ability to be able to easily view files if the operating system crashes, plus I don't need the extra security that NTFS has to offer over FAT32, plus the difference in speed is a load of crap. Sometimes one file system will work faster, sometimes the other will. It's all circumstantial.

Haven't had any problems with it, and as the saying goes 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

I guess I'm going to keep FAT32 since you mentioned that with NTFS you won't be able to view files from the hard drive without OS support.

What are the known differences between the two?

Windows 2000 and XP are both NT based Operating Systems and funnily enough, benefit greatly from a NT-File System. Benchmark the two, and you wont see much of a differene, but Windows 2k/XP runs natively on NTFS.

FAT32 is useless for storage these days, and still exists purely for backwards compatibility, and those who want to acess their files locally from another operating system. (such as linux, which can read from an NTFS partition, but cannot write) NTFS supports extended file permissions and other networking goodies that FAT32 cannot. You can share data on a NTFS to anyone on a network, reguardless of their Operating System. You can assign acess rights to the file level as well. ie- you can share individual files, not just a folder with basic share permissions & security.

Back to the useless for storage for a moment- the maximum filesize of any given file on a FAT32 partition is 4gig. NTFS is limited only to volume size. So a 20gig partition can hold a single 20gig file and so on....
    While you may not happen to have a 4+gig lying around right at this moment, remember DVDs are now becoming commonplace, especially now DVD burners are becoming more affordable. A single DVD is well in the 4gig range. Videos and other forms of digital media are getting richer and richer in content as well, which means the larger filesizes will make a big decision on your partition selection.

Beefys comment about having easy acess to files in the event of a catastrophe is valid, but with a bit of effort and precautions, you can have that same luxury with NTFS. Id rather the little effort of creating a boot disc than sacrifice a whole swag of features and functionality anyday.

As for me, i run WinXP (back to Win2k next reformat season) on an NTFS partition, and a FAT32 partition for games & (until recently) file storage. Since getting more into DVDs and the such, ive had to transfer over my media to the NTFS partition. Next reformat season theyll both run NTFS. Ill have a small fat32 partition in my firewall box in the event of having to transfer files to and from my NTFS/linux partitions. Even then, explore2fs lets me acess my linux partition (albeit read-only) from within windows.

Thread Information