Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Driver dilema

Trying to load a sound driver from the Compaq website.It shows up on my D: drive,with the open box icon. When you click on it,it starts to load,but doesnt give any destination.When I look for it in the device manager it doesnt show up. I specified the path for a driver update,but Windows says it cant find it. I'm wondering if it has to appear as a folder?.I would appreciate some advice.Nothing has gone right with this thing all week..Tthanks.

Did Compaq provide any installation instructions?
    Is it an .exe or .inf file or what?
    Does the file need to be unzipped?
    Perhaps the DL'd file is corrupted and you should try again?

And of course, are you certain this driver is the proper one for your Hardware and OS?

A lott'a questions I know, but the answers may be helpful as I have no idea what exactly you are dealing with here.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thanks for the reply.I got it to work.I have no idea how,but it did.
    The driver was from Compaq for a Presario.The driver was for 95/98/ME. Under 98 it installed but I could not locate it location.It didnt show up anywhere.Just the open box icon.I upgraded to WinME,and the same installation program worled.I guess ME had some additional drivers?.Dunno.
    There were no instructions provided by Compaq.They prefer you buy the restore disk..:(

Thread Information