Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any guess on what causes this?

For the last week or so I have had a new problem with my PIII 866 computer.

I turn it on when I get home from work and it starts up...beeps...posts...Windows XP Pro splash screen comes up...

and then

It reboots!

After the reboot I come to a DOS like screen that says

We apologize for any inconvienence, Windows did not start properly. New Hardware or Software may have caused this problem

It goes on to tell me something about the power button may have been pushed by mistake and if I know there was NO problem like this choose to start my computer NORMALLY.

If I know there is a problem start windows with the last KNOWN good configuration.

I start Windows normally and it comes up just fine..

WTH is going on???

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

have you added any new hardware, or any system changes?
    might be time for a reinstall.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

The only thing I added was a security update from windows update

I would try reseating the ram and all of the cards in the box, and checking the mobo power connector.

I haven't had the hood off this comp in several months and we haven't had even a little earthquake(to jostle things around). So I'm thinking all the cards n memory should still be seated ok.

I was wondering if a failing power supply could cause this, or.....if the security update I installed broke something.

Is there a good utility that I could get that lets me watch the boot up process of the computer? Maybe that would show something.

The problem is inconsistant so it's hard to pin down.

:D

Here is the site for looking at your boot times and has the option of optimizing it for you. I use it and have noticed shorter boot times.:thumb:

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platf...ot/BootVis.asp

While it may not be your problem, as a point of reference, a computer need not be josseled around for problems to develop with things that are plugged into sockets. There is such a thing as "creep" which occurs from the expansion and contraction of parts that heat up when running and cool off after shutdown. Each thermal cycle moves the component out of spring sockets by a tiny amount. What may be a more common problem is tiny amounts of corrosion that forms on contacts from air pollution or more commonly skin oils from touching the contacts. There was even a big debate a few years ago on the effects of dissimilar metal corrosion between tin and gold contacts, mostly a memory issue. Reseating components cures both of these problems (it scrapes corrosion off of the contacts). My thought was that it may be that something heats up, expands, and makes better contact on the second try loading Windows.

Well now.. that explanation makes sense .. I'll give it a try as well as checking out the boot sequence.

That's what I love about the Tweak Town family...some real thought was put into that suggestion.

Thanks Bigjackusa, and Psychtrip thanks for the link!

PC's that put up with a lot of humidity and/or dust will certainly develop this as my K6-3+ loves doin' this with it's memory sticks so every 3 months when I clean the dust bunnies out I also reseat the memory so that I don't have to open the case up again between cleans to do it when it decides that it's time. It will do it every 4-5 months otherwise. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

By Golly I think I've GOT IT!

I was doing some research this morning about the boot up problems I have encountered. I started looking because I noticed a USB hub I have was showing no power when I turned off my computer (which used to have power).

My research pointed me to the event viewer of my XP box. When I checked it there were tons of errors on 11/22 at the exact time my last reboot issue occured.

In reading the EVENTS it was clear that things I had attached to my USB hub were not able to start during boot up.

I powered my system down, changed the plug my USB hub was plugged into and then powered up the system.

I had a normal boot process without any issues at all!!!

Could a bad plug have been the cause of all of this???

whoa!!

I'm going to power this box down for a couple of hours, let things cool off and see if it still boots up normally. I guess that will be the true test heh? (and the age old test of time, of course)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information