Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WinXP won't boot up

It started this morning when I woke up to find WinXP had frozen up. Since then I have not been able to get it to boot back into win. At first it would freez up at the splash screen but now it does it right after the Device listing. What could be causing this??

Gee ya don't give us much in the way of details there buddy. :(
    How about something like ya hardware setup, what was the PC doin' at the time, did you install any new hardware or software, have you tried booting from the XP CD and doin' a repair, can you boot into safe mode, give us some answers to these and we'll be better able to help you. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yeah, sorry about that I was in a hurry to post before I had to leave the house.

I can't boot into Safemode either or for that matter from the winXP disk (even though I've got it set in the BIOS to boot from the cdrom before the HD). The newest thing to be installed was a game, Dark Age of Camelot, 3 weeks ago. The only thing that was running at the time it froze up (I was asleep) was Seti@home.

System Specs:
    Abit Vt6x4 mobo
    P3 800
    256MB RAM
    ATI AIW 8500DV
    SB Live
    linksys 10/100 nic
    40gig WD HD
    20gig WD HD

I'm still in need of help if anyone has any ideas

this sounds like something that i went through, it turned out to be a bad hdd. Thankfully maxtor had a cool utility that told me that what it was, so i didnt rip the pc apart. I dont know if WD does have any re-certification software for harddrives or anything else like that, but if they do, try it first.
    Hope this helps.

I've downloaded software from WDs website to test the drive but my comp. won't boot from the disk :confused:
    I have my boot order set to:

floppy
    CDROM
    HDD-0

not to sound funny here but win xp and bill have sorted out a way to fark the proggy up if you keep using it.... same thing happened to me... still searchin but no solution in sight...

Beefy Guest

starting to sound more like a hardware problem than software. if you can't get past the device listing on the POST screen then something is wrong. Does it give any errors or messages after that table, or does it just die?

No error messages, it just sits there with the little blinking line at the bottom-left of the screen. Although it hasn't today, it was able to get to the Windows splash screen a few times yesterday, but would freeze just as it was fading in.

Beefy Guest

Just backing back a little.. When you boot and it does the POST test and IDE detection, does it detect your hard drive(s) at all? Assuming you have them set to auto detect. If not, go into the BIOS and just make sure that your computer can see your HD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information