Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: W10 is too controlling. IMHO

Britgeezer is offline Member

Cool W10 is too controlling. IMHO

So as a fairly confident W7 user with 5 PC's linked to W2011 Home Server for quite a few years, I feel that most of my time is taken trying to take back control from W10.

For example the two PC's I updated were named for users, would boot all the way via saved passwords and were seen in W7 and Home Server 2011.

After the update it requires signing via an email instead of a dedicated PC name and password, even though they were different accounts (but linked under windows live) the backgrounds synchronized - clever but not wanted.

I have been traveling extensively since the upgrade and so not had much time to play around, but was hoping this forum would by now have some useful information about keeping control during and after W10 upgrades.

Stability seems fine and I'm gradually finding where everything is, but I'm thinking about doing a clean install (on one PC) and taking care to control everything I can.

Am I missing some good guides on the conversion?

Britgeezer is offline Member

Default Re: W10 is too controlling. IMHO

Just an update. I decided to go ahead with a clean install and wow the difference over the upgrade!

Of course it still wanted to sync the PC's using my email but I forced "local" sign in and now all is well especially after avoiding explorer 11 + edge and using Firefox.

Its even linking nicely to my WHS2011 server.

When I next have time I think I shall make a clean install of the other PC.

Khanivore is offline Junior Member

Default Re: W10 is too controlling. IMHO

I just did the same too, what a relief. I want control, not the other way round.

By the way, if anyone is worried about privacy issues in Win10 (I certainly was), the best tool I found is O&O ShutUp10. It does the job.

Thread Information