Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Word of Warning about XP tweak guide

At one point the guide points you to a different guide under the graphics section. This guide has you install a refresh force proggie to fix an XP bug.

Problem is some games MUST run under a certain frequency, i.e. Battlefield 1942 (60mhz). So if you start up a program and have reforce installed and the game just beeps and immediately shuts down then uninstall reforce and try again.

Took me hours to figure out which of the tweaks it was that shut my gaming down!

First of all this should be in the Windows forum.

Secondly, as author of the WinXP Guide, I think it's fair to say that BF1942 is the ONLY game/app I've ever heard of that doesn't work unless it's at the default 60Hz.

Even then, a new patch (version 1.2) has been released for BF1942 today, so try that and it should allow you to run higher than 60Hz now.

Beefy Guest

OK, thread moved to Windows forum (why was it in VIA?)

As for Persian's guide, he does explain that these aren't necessarily going to work for everyone. It does boil down to trial and error on some things. There's nothing in the guide which is actually harmful to your system though.

BF1942 has been well known to have a problem with refresh rates, which the new patch coming out soon is supposed to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    There's nothing in the guide which is actually harmful to your system though.
    Well actually, one of the tweaks in the guide will cause your house to burn down. Try to guess which one!

Seriously though, I've often thought about plastering my guides with "any tweaks you perform are at your own risk..blah blah" but it should go without saying that given the combination of hardware/software available today that any guide (no matter how brilliant and good looking the author is :)) may cause problems for some people.

However so far I've addressed any concerns/problems people have had by either updating/changing a guide where necessary or simply providing the solution in forums or by reply email (if the problem is really obscure). My feedback tells me at least 90% of people using XP have had no problems with the guide.

By the way, if you're having problems opening BF1942 because of the refresh rate thing, it can be fixed by doing this:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings directory

2. Open the VideoDefault.con file with Windows Notepad

3. Edit the line:

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

and change the 0 to 1

It should now start and run at all refresh rates, and your eyes will thank you for it.

I've only just started playing BF1942 so hopefully I can do a full tweak guide for it soon :)

Thread Information