Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: cd-rom works for 1 second... then stops

as many of you know, windows has stopped detecting my cd rom drives and cannot detect the ac'97 either... when the computer boots though, it detects the drives, but once windows comes up it doesn't come up with ANYTHING, then i even went out to buy a whole new cd-r drive and connected it, and it was detected in windows for ONE SECOND, then came up with the gay error of:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

is this a hardware of software problem? seems like hardware? this is damn frustratin'
    <font color=red size=1>|</font><font size=1>T-bred AMD Athlon XP 1800+<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font><font size=1>Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=red>|</font>512 mb Corsair XMS PC3200<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font>Leadtek Winfast G4 Ti4200 w/ 8x support<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color = red>|</font>Maxtor ATA133 80 gb w/ 8mb cache<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color = blue>|</font>Verbatim 48x12x50 CD-RW<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=red>|</font>Logitech Cordless Elite Duo<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color = blue>|</font>Win XP Pro SP1<font color=blue>|</font>

Have you tried booting to a CDROM?

I'm wondering if this is a Windows issue or a controller issue.
    I take it you have checked the BIOS over?

Have you tried clearing your CMOS?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

i havn't tried booting to a cd-rom, but i have cleared my cmos and it doesn't work =(
    <font color=red size=1>|</font><font size=1>T-bred AMD Athlon XP 1800+<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font><font size=1>Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=red>|</font>512 mb Corsair XMS PC3200<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font>Leadtek Winfast G4 Ti4200 w/ 8x support<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color = red>|</font>Maxtor ATA133 80 gb w/ 8mb cache<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color = blue>|</font>Verbatim 48x12x50 CD-RW<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=red>|</font>Logitech Cordless Elite Duo<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color = blue>|</font>Win XP Pro SP1<font color=blue>|</font>

Thread Information