Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Win 98 media problem

For some reason my windows media player quit working.It starts to run,then the status bar shoots all the way to the right,and it stops as though the whole file played ,when in actuality it never even started.It does the same with music cd's in the cdrom as well.
    I upgraded Win xp home to win xp corp, on another drive about the same time this occured,but I'm not sure its anything but a coincedence.
    The cmedia sound chip is the default player when a music cd is used,but the windows media player has always worked when playing downloaded mp3. Any ideas other than a MS download?.....Thanks.:)

format c:

That's what I would do, then just put plain WinXP on. (Not overwriting WinXP over Win98)

I have no idea what the problem is with the computer, but it's weird that it effects both your Win98 and WinXP O/S's, it could be a virus that targets your media player? Or a Trojan that prevent you from playing files...?

And because you can't play MP3's, that rules out the possibility of your CD-ROM messing up, and I doubt that the harddisks are going wrong, otherwise you wouldn't be able to load any O/S at all.

I think that the best thing to do first, is to search your computer with a virus/trojan detector, like McAfee, Norton, PCillin etc... For any viruses.

Good-Luck! :thumb:

Its not affecting anything on XP, just the media player on Win 98. I have some older stuff that works best with 98 so I need to have it available. I'm guessing a new version for Media player will remedy the situation,but I am on dial-up ,and d-loads take forever.:)

Thread Information