Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menu slowdowns

I have installed WinXP a few days ago on a new machine. At first I didn't notice any slow menu speeds but then they started to really slow down. It is most noticeable in the All Programs menu and worst of all in my Internet Favorites menu. I have been looking around for a fix and came across one for typing in start > run > cmd > sfc. That didn't work. I also heard something about maybe TweakUI might be a cause for it and I uninstalled that. And finally I also tried in regedit HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and then setting MenuShowDelay to 0. Nothing has worked thus far. Has anyone heard or know of something else that might help? Any help will be much appreciated.

THANKS

It just sounds like your Icon Cache is too small. Use Cacheman (download link here and instructions for use here) and that should solve your problems.

Thank you for the reply! This didn't totally fix my problem but it did speed the menu's up. My All Programs menu is about back to the way it should be but my Internet Favorites menu is still slow for my liking. Thanks anyways for the help and I think cacheman is a plus to have on my new system.

Also a FYI. I am using 512megs of RAMBUS PC1066 and I usually stay around 60-70 percent free.

It just sounds like you need some general Windows optimization, so refer to my full WinXP Tweak Guide and go through from start to finish. That should fix things :)

I don't think it is a matter of tweaking but then again I am no expert. I have though done most of the things from that and other tweak guides. I also run Norton System Works and have done some optimizing through that. I am thinking that it is possible something that I installed but I have been installing things since Wednesday and have spent about 15 hours tweaking/installing since then. So I am not sure where even to look or begin. I did run across another tweak guide where as they mentioned a problem such as mine.

Other Tweak Guide

13 Speed up Internet Explorer 6 Favorites:

For some reason, the Favorites menu in IE 6 seems to slow down dramatically sometimes--I've noticed this happens when you install Tweak UI 1.33, for example, and when you use the preview tip to speed up the Start menu. But here's a fix for the problem that does work, though it's unclear why:
    Just open a command line window (Start button -> Run -> cmd) and type sfc, then hit ENTER. This command line runs the System File Checker, which performs a number of services, all of which are completely unrelated to IE 6. But there you go: It works.

I tried that but to no avail. Any other ideas?

I'm thinking it's a hard drive access issue. You have a large number of icons in your favorites folder (one for each site I assume), and so when Windows goes to load up all the icons it takes a while, with lots of hard disk activity, right?

I can only say that if you've truly gone through my guide (including running Regcleaner for example) and it still doesn't help then yes, you've installed an application which is slowing down your menus by checking for something before it opens them up. I don't know of any app that does that offhand, but maybe you can use Task Manager to shut them down one-by-one and see when your menus speed up?

Thx! I will give regcleaner a try and if that doesn't work do what else you suggested.

O and BTW...I have like 1000 favorites put into some 30 folders. So it is pretty extensive when I am running my curser over the folders.

I have to wonder if deleting the ShellIconCache and rebooting might be of benefit:?:

After all, sometimes it is the simple stuff you know?
    I have seen reference to TweakUI causing some lameness of this file in some instances.

It won't cure all the ailments you describe, but it may benefit some of them.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I did a search on my computer and was unable to find any sort of ShellIconCache or IconCache file. Does WinXP have one? Or maybe my install is so new that it has to creat one yet?

The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information