Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from Starting

Having problems with XP Home SP1 OEM. Fresh install with a new Hard Drive. Given the following error: Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM Checked out the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 307545 which lists a fix. Tried it and it worked to an extent. Allowed XP to boot, but my programs wouldn't start, like Outlook, or MS Money. Reformatted the HDD. Re-installed XP SP1. It worked well for 1 day. Booted it up the next day and got the same errors. I need to know what is causing the problem so I can fx it. Microsoft doesn't seem to want to address it yet. Not enough people having this problem yet.

Anyone?

Bueller?

Firstly check to make sure that the hard drive jumpers and settings in BIOS are right. Then I'd go to the hard drive's maker's website and see if there is a testing utility for checking the drive itself. If those turned out ok then I'd check the memory for errors with Memtest86. Both of these utilities will run from a bootable floppy so ya'll have to make sure that ya floppy drive is the first boot device. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thanks, That helped. I updated my Bios. Got some new Ram (on sale! 512 for 29.99) upgraded to a gig. Did a recovery and a repair install. Seems to be working fine. Even did the tweak according to the guide.

New Problem. Outlook Express isn't working specifically the Address book after I installed Office 2000 with all the updates thru SP3.

Already tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. Didn't work. Trying now to download a stand alone version of outlook express to install and see if that works.

Any ideas?

Thread Information