Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP Saga Continues

Ok here goes again.

As many of you are aware I have had a problem for the last couple of weeks wint my PIII 866 Pentium system.

It seems to go through reboots during startup since installing two Windows Update files.....A third(ATI Radeon VE DDR) failed to install. (I should have known better here.....I have the VIA chipset infinite loop issue and XP's drivers are the only thing that work).

I have taken every PCI card out and all the memory and reseated EVERYTHING. ... blew the case out with canned air even though it wasn't the least bit dirty.

I have turned off the "automatically reboot" for errors and still don't see any BSOD.. just a reboot. I have rolled back my video card drivers thinking perhaps the failed driver install was the problem.

I don't think it's a power supply issue..but here are my settings

CPU temp 32 C
    System Temp 28 C
    CPU Fan 6250 RPM's

V Core 1.737V
    +2.5V 2.537V
    +3.3V 3.406V
    +5.0V 4.872V
    +12.0V 11.92V

Everything looks ok in the BIOS settings.

I turned the system off today to reseat all the cards and memory and now I have not been able to get it out of Safe Mode.....if I'm lucky enough to GET into Safe Mode without rebooting over and over.

System event viewer gives me all sorts of DCOM errors.

Unable to start service event system in Safe Mode....
    Unable to start service Netman in Safe Mode

And then all my network drivers are errors telling me they can't start because a device that is needed is not present...

HELP ME!!! I've fallen and can't get up!!

I'm on my athelon 700 system now but would like my main box working again...

Do you think a repair of XP would help?

Ohh.. and can't do a system restore because the Windows updates erased them all...

Thanks for the help!

You could try the repair function but somehow I have the feelin' that a clean install will be needed as it sounds like something has been seriously put out in Windows. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

yeah, I think so too...my only hope is that it's software and not hardware...

I'm getting ready to insert the XP cdrom as I type this...

Try the clean install of Windows, it may solve things.

However sudden reboots have a lot to do with RAM. Check your RAM, check the BIOS RAM timings (set them to the default) and make sure if you have a Command Rate option it's set to 2T not 1T.

Thanks PersianImmortal..

I'm trying a repair install now but I am not hopefull..

I'll keep your pearls in mind as I reformat....:snip:

Ok.. Whoot!!!...

Just finished a repair install and so far so good. Although I have yet to shut this system down.....

Should I go ahead and install sp1 or leave well enough alone?

It also had me activate my system before it would allow me to log in.. what's with that?? odd..

I'll post back after I attempt a reboot, and thanks for hanging in there with me!!

Things seem ok so far, but I was wondering...

Windows update is offering me pages of updates.. Which ones should I install.

This is a repaired install think XP SP1 is safe to install without throwing me back into the endless loop issues or rebooting?

Tried to post yesterday but I couldn't find Tweaktown... :cry:

Well..I spoke too soon.

I continued with the reboot issue and not being able to get the system operational. I tried different memory thinking that could be the problem...no. I unistalled my video card thinking that could be the problem...no. I then decided to just go for a whole reformat.

Problem is....the system reboots right after it formatted the hard drive. It gets to the set up page of XP and reboots!!!!!

Over and Over and Over again...

Am I looking at a motherboard issue or power supply????

Think it's time for a whole new box now......*looks in the piggy bank*....maybe after Christmas!

Thread Information