Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Audio configuration with XP

I don't know how to get around with selecting the audio output from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. In specific, I tried to connect the cable to the digital output of the drive and connect it to the SPDIF input of the sound card. But the wierdest thing is, that I can play audio without any cable plugged in, which means DVD-ROM transferrs that audio via the IDE connection. In the mixer, I can change the volume only by sliding the WAVE/MP3 control slider. CD audio doesn't do anything. I want to change that and use the digital output, so hopefully I can play DVD's in AC3 mode and 5.1 channels enabled. How can I change the output source?

Thanks.

Digital audio is what is going through the ide cable. This is not unusual for modern optical drives. To try to figure out your volume problem, it would help to know what sound card you have.

I have the Sound Blaster Audigy card. This idea with the audio going through the IDE cable is kind of stupid. It is not possible to play DVD's and enjoy AC3 encoded audio. The SPDIF connection on the sound card offers the AC3 decoding. Also, one more thing worth saying is, I have 5.1 channel speaker system (non-digital), that uses three connctions on the back of the soundcard. Does windows XP has any place to select audio output source?

Thread Information