Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dos programs in XP?

I've heard that XP is not very compatible with old DOS games (as Quake in my case). After installation I try to run it but nothing happens. This has happened to other DOS programs as well. Is there a way to fix it?

No answer here... sorry.

I was thinking of the Compatibility mode that is offered in WinXP, but it only goes back as far as Win95. Might try it just for grins and giggles, but it doesn't look promising.

To set the compatibility mode, just right-click the shortcut on the desktop, go to "Properties" and choose the "Compatibility" tab. There will be a check box you can activate to adjust the mode in which the program starts up in, but it only goes back to Win95.

Oh... and if you don't have a shortcut to the program on the desktop, then you can just right-click the .exe file and select Properties.

Don't know if this helps, but it may at least be worth a try.

Good luck! :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I tried the compatibility mode, but it is still just the same problem

That's kinda what I was figuring. About the only other thing that I can come up with is to search around for some sort of DOS emulator, but I wouldn't be too confident that it would work very well. :(
    My Toys

Beefy Guest

with the later releases of quake there used to be a windows 95 compatible executable... are you trying to run that, or are you trying to run the standard dos one?

I've tried both the quake.exe and the q95.exe. same problem with both.

Have you tried to run the q95.exe under the Win95 mode within XP? Don't know if it would work, but it may be worth a shot.
    My Toys

*hint hint*...XP ...98se ... Dual boot :)

yes, I've tried running q95.exe under xp 95 settings. Didn't work (surprise). What the other guy was hinting at is beyond me (hint hint xp 98s dual boot or something)

He's talking about running both of these operating systems on the same system. When you boot up the machine, it will bring up a window asking which OS you want to run in. If, after 30 seconds, you don't make a choice, then the system will automatically load whichever is set to the default OS.

Now the problem with this... you would have to scrap your XP program and load Win98SE first, THEN install WinXP.

Advantages and disadvantages to it, but if this game is that important to you, then it may be a feasible choice for you.
    My Toys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information