Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WinXP sound prob!!!

I've just upgraded to winxp and rebooted to find I have no sound. At all. I've updated my drivers to fix compatability problems, took out my sound card & let XP find it again, and even tried changing my speakers. Is there something I'm missing here?:confused: :(

My soundcard is Creative Soundblaster Live! Value (I know its old, but I'm building a new comp & rather not upgrade it yet.)
    And I'm using WinXP Home Edition... any help is appreciated...
    XPNewbie

This is strange unless the mobo has onboard sound and if ya have reset the CMOS then the onboard sound is active again and this is why ya have no sound. Other than that I can't see what it is as XP should've just grabbed the card and run with it unless there's an IRQ problem there. :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I ones had same problem, and i went trough the manual of the creative live soundcard. There is something about that you should reserve a IRQ channel in the bios. I cant remember anymore the channel No but please take a look in you manuall.
    Also if you use digital output in your speaker system, you have to clock the digital output box in the sound setup, but you might not use this.

Atleast it worked for me.

Best regards. Finn.

Thanks guys, I'll go & try that, but before I do (& at the risk of sounding stupid), how do I get to my BIOS? And at the risk of sounding even more stupid how do I set up a IRQ?:confused:
    XPNewbie

Your motherboard manual should explain this but if ya don't have one then ya can download one from the manufacturer's website. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Alright then, I'll go an' do that. Opening up my comp is a hassle, but living without sound is even more of a hassle. Thanks for the help, guys...:)
    XPNewbie

Thread Information