Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Update Problem w/Q324929 12-2002 Cumulative Patch for IE6 SP

After recently reformatting my hard drive and doing a fresh install of XP Pro, I of course went to Windows Update to patch up all of the things Billzebub Gates "forgot" when he first put that o/s out. Having had some bad experiences with WU in the past, I tried to be very careful not to take too many updates at once, and took some that gave me problems in the past by themselves such as the big .NET update. I also did this so the Service Pack 1 update would not take so long (downloadable on my, shall we say, "unofficial" copy thanks to the XP Pro-Corp key changer).

Of course, once you install SP1, even more updates come up, and this is where I seem to have run into a problem. I cannot get my system to accept this one:

Q324929: December 2002, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

I have tried multiple times to download and install that upgrade through WU, and have even downloaded that specific fix to my hard drive and tried to install it that way. The downloading and installing process seems to go normally with both of those methods. But, once I reboot, WU still says I need that patch! Also, the automatic update feature has come up four times in the past week trying to give me that fix, but after rebooting, WU still tells me I need it!

I can't understand why this is happening since I had no problems installing this patch before. I have changed no settings on my PC that I know of that would affect this (after all, every other patch had no problems other than they're slower to install than pouring molasses on a cold winter's night), and I have always made sure my Norton AntiVirus was shut off during the whole process.

Also, someone suggested that I look at my "About Internet Explorer" box to see if this patch actually did install itself and this "problem" was just a WU glitch of some kind. All it says is the following:

Update Versions:; SP1;

I don't know what's up with Microsoft's excessive use of semicolons, but what I read makes me think this is a problem and not just WU being nutty.

I sure would be very grateful to anyone who could point me towards a solution on this. I know Microsoft's language on their websites cannot always be trusted, but this update I can't get sounds fairly important.
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    ASUS A7V333 (BIOS ver. 1015)
    Antec True550 PSU
    256MB PNY PC2100 DDR RAM
    128MB Nanya PC2100 DDR RAM
    Windows XP Professional Edition w/SP1
    PNY nVidia GeForce MX 420
    Creative Sound Blaster PCI512
    CyberDrive CW038D CD/RW
    EPO CR-848S CD-ROM
    Western Digital 100GB HDD
    Maxtor 10GB HDD
    Logitech keyboard, mouse, and Wingman Rumble Pad
    Altec Lansing AVS500 speakers
    generic floppy
    Magview 15.7" viewable monitor
    Realtek RTL8139/810X Ethernet card

:confused: not very sure but just wondering...did install the update Q328970 before u tried to patch up with Q324929. its an earlier update.
    may be M$ wants u to do it in sequential manner...u must have been running the update before reformatting ur HDD. try installing the earlier update i.e. Q328970 and then patch up with Q324929.
    who knows...it might help...otherwise any one.... ?
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Same problem as FRY-TOR. Have you tried Fred Flintstones idea, and did it work?

asklepios...

I went to Microsoft's website and downloaded Q328970 ("Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer" released November 2002) even though I'm fairly certain I already took it during my WU-fest earlier this week. When I try to execute the file, it says, "This update requires Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1 to be installed." Well, that's something else I thought I had already installed, but I searched for that and downloaded it as well (even though I had tried that already before coming here to ask for help).

Well, just as it had done before, when trying to install the IE6 SP1, it comes up with the following:

"Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system. Setup cannot continue."

When I began this process, I started with a freshly formatted HDD. One of the things I did take in a big group at WU was evertything that had to do with IE6 except for the "November cumulative patch" because it seemed to be such a time-hog installation-wise.

I have sought help for this on two other boards, and have received no definitive answers. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just reformat, reinstall XP Pro, and take the "main" SP1 update first (even though that didn't work out so well on a previous reformat-reinstall, but that may have been due to other issues I have been dealing with since installing my ASUS A7V333 motheboard...supposedly better than my previous ECS K7S5A, but this new one sure has been a royal pain in the keyster).

Reebok...

Sorry it took me so long to get back here to update you on my progress. I have found a few other posts on various help boards from people having the same problem as you and I, but obviously have found no answers. I'm going to wait through Saturday night (California time) to see if anyone else has a fix for this. If I can't find any other possible answers, I'm going to try the reformat-reinstall, and then make careful notes of what I install and in what order from WU. Whatever happens after that, I'll come back here and let you know how it went.
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    Antec True550 PSU
    256MB PNY PC2100 DDR RAM
    CyberDrive CW038D CD/RW
    EPO CR-848S CD-ROM
    Maxtor 10GB HDD
    Logitech keyboard, mouse, and Wingman Rumble Pad
    Altec Lansing AVS500 speakers
    generic floppy
    Magview 15.7" viewable monitor
    Realtek RTL8139/810X Ethernet card

:)
    Firstly do a online scan for virus.
    do a google seach for online virus and do a complete scan.
    you can try this site:
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Once completed with the scan do the following:

Try reinstalling Q324929 Cumulative Patch

if it doesnt work then do the following:

Install IE 5.5 first.

Then once again go the Window Update and Install IE 6(SP1).

In my view it should work. The most possible caused seems a virus sitting on your sys.

thanks and nice day
    amrita
    :wave:

Thanks for your advice, amrita! But, I'm afraid you were too late. By the time you replied, I had already reformatted my drive ("regular" NTFS, not "Quick") and did a fresh install of XP Pro. I hope your tip will help others with this problem who aren't in a position like I was where format-install wasn't a big deal.

I can't explain exactly why I had problems earlier taking SP1 first after installing XP Pro; it was possibly because of the problems I've been having with my new motherboard. But this time, I took SP1 first, rebooted, then took all of the remaining "critical updates" (I had ten come up), rebooted, took the rest of the XP Updates and drivers I wanted, rebooted, and had no problems; everything is installed and appears to be working correctly.

To Reebok...good luck using amrita's advice. I hope it works for you. If not, you might want to think about backing up the data you want to save and do what I did. Make sure you come back and let us know what happened so others who got stuck like us will know what options they have.
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    Antec True550 PSU
    256MB PNY PC2100 DDR RAM
    CyberDrive CW038D CD/RW
    EPO CR-848S CD-ROM
    Maxtor 10GB HDD