Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need Win Me cab files....

TRying to update a machine from win 98 to Win Me and my Win Me upgrade disk must be damaged (it has scratches) keep getting error at 10 % install can someone send me the file or will that even work??????
    "You can achieve in your life anything that you really set your mind to! That is not to say that things will always be easy, but you can achieve whatever you really desire to attain."

Jeff Gordon, from his fan club Q&A:

Why would ya want to load MEss over 98 for? :confused:

Hey I don't mean anything nasty here but ME should never have been released and the SE update of 98 is still the best DOS based Windows around. Just fully update 98 would be my choice. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Sending parts or all of a WinME disk is illegal, so we can't do that. If your disk is truly scratched beyond repair, contact MS Support for a replacement.

More importantly, don't do an upgrade installation. Do a reformat and a CLEAN install of WinME. You can do this using the upgrade disk...it'll just ask you for the Win98 Serial number to confirm upgrade eligibility.

I have to say I used WinME before XP came out and it was just fine. Ran as fast as 98SE for me, just need the right tweaks.

If you can however, get WinXP because it's streets ahead of 9x/ME.

You talked me into it ....win98 se is going on .
    I was only wanting to put Me on because my xp will not work ( need a controler card for the old hp 7270 ) Never used Me Is it that bad?
    "You can achieve in your life anything that you really set your mind to! That is not to say that things will always be easy, but you can achieve whatever you really desire to attain."

Jeff Gordon, from his fan club Q&A:

If the hardware is fairly new then it's got a better chance of success but older hardware is where probs start but ME is a 50/50 bet on whether it will work well or just be a dog (sorry PI but that's they way it stands hands on here no matter how well it's been setup and I'm not alone either). I have never had this problem with anyother other Win9x os (though the first version of 95 came close). : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I won't say that WinME cannot be tweaked to a working unit, but why in the world would I want to have to tweak an OS for it to work properly in the first place? At least with Win98SE it works properly out of the box and has fewer conflicts than ME does. Also of note is that WinME was nothing more than a placemat so that folks wouldn't forget the dreaded Microsoft name. It was originally supposed to be what WinXP is today; a working and user frindly interface for the masses built upon the NT shell. Since that OS wasn't anywhere near complete, our friends in Redmond decided to put out what amounted to nothing more than a bug fix for Win98 and then they had the balls to charge a full OS price for it. The only problem was that they thought they'd add a few ammenities that created the potential for frequent BSODs.

Win98SE is by far the better operating system and has far fewer bugs than WinME has. It doesn't take a lot of tweaking to maintain its stability, and you can still play with internal settings to make it faster.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information