Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: BAD SERVICE CALL MICROSOFT COST 250 bucks!!!!

This is an email that i have sent to gygabyte.... but realy Microsoft i think may be behind this... The mother board is a GA-7VAXP

"Upon installing this system the POST screen went by with out any troubles. After that i went to install my copy of WIN XP PROFESSIONAL and imeadiatly got the following error " Setup can't load setupdds.sys. This is error code 7."

So perplexed i went onto your web site and looked for answers not finding any i proceeded to call Microsoft customer support. They informed me that it is a BIOS problem. I also flashed my bios to the F9 patch. Still no avail. So i tried another computers HDD that already had a copy of WIN XP PRO installed. this booted up with no problems. I also using the previous HDD tried to install WIN 98 and LINUX Mandrake both of these worked Fine.

I then managed to format the HDD to Fat 32 and copied the install files for WIN XP PRO to the HDD and ran setup. It recopied the files to the HDD and reset the computer to boot into its setup shell. After the POST screen I found that I recieved this message.

"Could'nt open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
    NTLDR:Could'nt open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"

From there I again rang customer support at microsoft. They sugested that i may have a faultiy Mother board, Or a faulty BIOS.

So Here i am asking your for help. The vendor thinks that because it passes the POST screen there are no troubles. So then why on 3 Different HDDs does this problem occour?

Thank you for your time.

I Have found that a number of other people on the internet in forums have also had this problem. "

Perhaps you fellas know what the hell im on about ..

Oh and so you fellas know .. a service call to microsoft cost my Uni dept $250 bucks .. great ... cept they charged me to look else where ....

I have the same motherboard with you and have installed Windows XP Pro on it without any problem. I have a question for you though. Where is your HDD connected? Is it on one of the ATA 133 connectors or on the RAID. You can check during boot up where it comes up. If you put it on the RAID you have to make a disk with the drivers so that windows can see the HDD. Look in the cd that came with the motherboard. Copy all the files and subfolders in the x:\other\promise\20276\ata133\ folder on to a disk. When the windoes xp setup starts it asks if you want to use any extra drivers. I believe you have to press F6 or something. Later on it checks the disk drive and gives you some options for which drivers to load. I hope this helps.
    PS. This only happens with Windows XP and 2000. :)

Yeah .. no there is only one HDD ... and ... i tired it with the raid drivers installed like you said .. and cause its only hooked up to ide1 and 2 i can disable the promise controller so i tried that. No luck ... im in the process of changeing the ram as well .. another tech at the same store sugested that.

Basicily its like this .. i took the system back to the store and demanded answers. Im protected in Australia with the trade laws.. they sold me a product that doesnt do what it advertises it does.

So .. if they find that any product is faulty they replace it. if they dont and get it going its going to cost 44 bucks ..

well i give up .. i just want the damn thing to work...

That was probably the most sencible thing to do as it's much easier to fix something when it's in ya hands but do be sure to ask what was causin' the prob if they do sort it out though as ya may need the fix again. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>:

Thread Information