Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP sp1 install causing strange error message

I recently installed SP1 onto fresh XP install, after using keychanger to change the key to a new one that seemed to work and at least let me install SP1.

After XP rebooted as part of SP1 install, i get the error message
    "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x8007007f"

Is this normal or what? Searched the net and only found reference to Dell computers getting this problem and the suggested fix is not applicable (the registry keys they say to delete do not exist)

Any ideas? Apart obviously from restarting from scratch which I hope to avoid.

Cheers,

Yossarian:confused:

have U tried to change to another key since?

I have not tried another key because I don't know how I can.

The computer will only boot into safe mode now. Trying to boot normally brings up the error and the only option is to close down computer.

To change the key I have been using the method where you bring up the key authentication crap and change the key then exit. However when I go to use this method I get the message that you have to be running in normal/not SAFE mode to do this.

I can edit the registry still though. But I don't think changing the key at this stage is an option unless it can be done in the registry without bringing up any authentication stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Anyone else?

don't know if this will help,

click on start-->run, type regedit
    go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    Look for a string value RegDone. If its not there add the value from Edit-->New-->String Value. Name it as "RegDone". Double click on the key in the right hand pane and type the value as "1". This should work as something looking like your activation completed.

this is an except taken from an earlier post in this forum "XP SP1-activation--" tip 1 reply by Asklepios :thumb:

The RegDone fix didn't work for this error.

Regdone is about registration not activation.

See the sticky on this topic. Thread closed.

Thread Information