Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Strange web problem with I-explorer

Hi everyone,

I have a very strange problem which is that I cant access some of the web-pages I want to go to. Its not many but I actually cant access www.microsoft.com anymore (I dont know if I should be happy or sad about that :) ). I also cant do a windows update, it just says that there arnt any updates for me, and Im pretty sure there is. I have checkec with other people from the same isp and they dont have the problem. I have tried security settings in explorer and disabling my firewall.
    I havn't installed sp1 (I run XP) though I dont know if that has something to do with it?
    I first got aware of the problem when I couldnt access the site http://www.foraldrar.com/
    The only solution I have left is to reinstall but right now I dont know if im up to it.

/Lobtec

first make sure you have the correct DNS entries from your ISP. then try...

Do a search on your hard drive for a file called HOSTS.

no file extension.
    some websites do some scripting trickery where they write a hosts file onto your machine so when you try to access a site like microsoft.com, amazon.com or whatever you are actually accesing their own site. they can use this stuff to steal personal info and want not.

anyway HOSTS should be in: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

its just a text file make sure there are no entries for any sites you currently can't access..

Im feeling kind of stupid right now...;)
    You are correct. There was a couple of entries in the host file which seemed to stop me from going where I wanted. Thanks for the help!

/LobTec

Thread Information