Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the problems that you faced after installing SP1...

Lot of people are quite hostile about SP1 and the problems they faced after installing it on a working XP. Some even had to reformat their disks.
    Lets know what all the problems people faced. It will be a good thing for all of us as we would know all the probable problems and glitches we might face after getting SP1...:)
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

So I am the first one...
    No problems till now...working fine...
    : peace2:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I lost my IE favorites, cookies. Just had to restore from my backup. Apart from that, I haven't noticed any difference. :cool:

There was that flurry of posting, but a good amount of that was on corps and people not bothering to backup and archive. MS can't predict every box and SW config out there.

I think the problems were just a small fraction of all those who updated. Only network admins should worry about it for obvious reasons. Go for it with proper precautions.

augie

The only problem that I have with it is that M$ didn't tell ppl that it should only be applied to clean XP installations.

Hey wait a minute! :bounce:

What in the F#$%! am I talkin' about? :confused:

I've made quite a few bucks out of reloadin' ppl's XP installs (and Win 2K's) because they havn't. :>insert smiley that has seen Bill Gates<:

Please everyone disregard what I just typed and forget any previous tips I just gave out and carry on as usual but if ya do happened to get stumped just bring ya case to my workshop (will let ya's know the new location so stay tuned to my sig) and for a small fee I'll fix it up for ya's.

Hi Wiggo,

Doesn't everyone do a clean install?:D

Probably the manager of tech support needed to boost his revenue. This isn't the first time they "forgot" something.

augie

I wish. :rolleyes2

:laugh: :laugh:

errr.... you are kidding right?
    (although I am slightly scared that you're not:( )

why on earth wouldn't you do a clean install?!
    it's like emptying the kitchen bin but not throwing out the bag that the rubbish came in.... stuff always sticks and gets left behind and sooner or later your kitchen is gonna stink!

And the more use that the installation has had, the more likely (and quicker) the chance of ya system just not workin' the next momment (this doesn't happen in all cases but it does in most).

So please install away to your hearts content and service bookin's can be made by emailin' me at wiggo100@hotmail.com so an appointment can now be made[/i] :devil:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I never did a clean reinstall of XP. Simply installed SP1 (by running the .exe file) when it first came out over my existing 6-month old XP Pro install and everything is running sweetly ever since.

No problems before, no problems after. I think people get a little carried away when talking about MS products. SP1 is a collection of important Windows Update patches (listed here) and some changes to the way imbedded MS products (such as MS Messenger) work. You DO NOT need to do a clean install of XP to install SP1 successfully. If you want to maintain your PC and keep it completely clean of driver and registry residue follow the maintenance routine in my XP Guide.

If for some reason you have any problems once SP1 is installed, please hop on this message board and detail them. We'll see what we can do.

BTW I recommend that you download the entire SP1 package (not the online updater version) and keep it handy in case you do a reinstall.

PS - in an attempt to demystify XP SP1, here is the Official MS XP SP1 Installation Guide. Have a look through, it lists the contents of SP1 etc. Who knows SP1 better than the people who put it together.

Hey PI (I'm not sure about that as it was the nic of the pub that I use to frequent b4 I saw the light and started brewin' my own)..... but.... **** what was I goin' to ask?...... Oh yeah that's it, if ya get a chance can ya add some input of ya own here pls? :?:

And anyone else who properly reads it and obeys the rules while in it ;)

</center> </center>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information