Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Invalid Tweaks?

Greetings,
    As an XP newbie I'm thankful I found this site and PersianImmortal's great XP guide that has helped me greatly. As I look around the net there is another very popular XP Tweak site has a list of tweaks they say don't work. One of these is the IRQ Priority performance tweak. As I respect your opinions highly here I was wondering if you agree or disagree with them in that it's an incorrect tweak? Thanks in advance.

It’s not that it’s an “invalid tweak” – it simply may not make any performance difference. That’s because XP should be able to detect your CPU’s L2 Cache size automatically. However, at worst setting the cache size manually does not hurt performance in any way, and at best, for some CPUs where the L2 Cache size is not detected properly it may help performance. As with every other tweak in my guide, I recommend you benchmark the results and see whether it helps you much. I’ve personally used this tweak and it makes no performance difference, but it hasn’t hurt at all either. I included it in my guide for completeness really, as I wanted to list every known XP performance tweak.

/EDIT: Goddammit - I have to pay more attention to the original posts! But what I said above applies to IRQ priority tweak too. It may not work, it may. I've had feedback from people who've told me it made an improvement in their benchmarks, others say none. Again, I included it for completeness sake. Nothing in my guide is harmful to performance.

Rgr That! :) Thanks to your guides my rig's running sweet tweaked and with the 4.45's Via on my KT266A board. Many thanks!

i would be a fool if i get in arguements when it comes to performance related to windows but just as a note...IRQ priority tweak reduced my boot up time by a whopping 5 seconds...yeah read that full 5 seconds...
    so u have another one supporting that tweak PI...
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information