Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: scrwed up reinstall CDs?

I've spent the last four hours trying to reinstall Windows XP. Everytime I attempted to using the reinstall CDs provided with my system setup would start, spit out an error message, restart and try to start setup again in some kind of ridiculous infinity loop.

Gateway thoughtfully DID NOT enclose a CD with just Windows XP on it. So, with great assistance from my roommate, I installed someone else's copy of XP, used one of my roommates serial numbers to install it, and then activated it over the web. :snip:

Do I go back to Gateway and demand new reinstall CDs (that actually work), try my own again and hope they work, or just pray that no Micro-nazi's come knocking on my door with happy bundles of litigation?

You should get a copy of Windows XP OEM from Gateway. If they haven't provided you with one, at the very least you need an Activation code from them, because after several hardware changes XP will demand that you reactivate it, so in the long run you'll need it.

Go back and ask for it, because at any time MS may decide to block all non-legitimate activation codes. They can do this easily because they have a database of all the activation codes they've actually issued (as opposed to generated ones).

thanks for all your help. This is just about over as long as I don't get click happy during your optimization guides:D

Thread Information