Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Secure sites

Lately, when I access a secure site, ( 128 bit encrypted ) with Internet Explorer 6.0, I do not see anymore the padlock symbol in the toolbar at the bottom right hand of the screen.
    The sites are definitely secure ( file/properties, shows they are ). How can I get that padlock symbol back in view?
    Iím running Windows XP.

if the URL begins with https:// you are on a secure page.
    However, before relaying any financial type info - such as credit card #'s etc. you need to see the padlock.

If you are in the actual ordering process or checking a bank account online, at some point you should progress to seeing the actual icon when the informations gets to a certain degree of sensitivity.

If not, there are 2 possibilities -- the problem may lie on the other end of the transaction, in which case you should contact them and find out if everything is kosher before proceeding. If the problem is at your end, it may be time to repair Internet Explorer or pursue an upgrade or service pack.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thank you Mr. C for the reply.
    The sites I contacted are secure. So I tried to repair Internet Explorer and it did not make a difference.
    I'm running Exporer 6.0 with SP1 so all the upgrades have already been done.

The "http" on the address bar has an "s", so I assume the connection to the site is secure. I just wonder why the padlock all of a sudden does not show up anymore.

For some types of secure sites I reckon the "s" is sufficient for comfort. Like for logging in and that type of thing.
    For credit card info (as in online purchasing) and such, personally I need to see the padlock before proceeding.

So for me the neccesity of the padlock is directly related to what the task at hand is.
    Keep in mind though, I am hardly an expert in online security - I just know what makes me comfortable:laugh:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information