Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Newbie to this. But surely applying the WinXP SP1 will open

I have read -
    "Access to Windows Update will also be restricted for licensed users. Eligibility for access to Windows update will be determined by checking that the product key used to install Windows XP is valid and was manufactured by Microsoft. Two pieces of information will be sent to Windows Update when accessing the Windows Update web site:

A hash (one-way mathematical transformation) of the product key used to install Windows XP
    The Product ID
    Windows Update will compare the product key hash and Product ID to a list created from valid, Microsoft-manufactured product keys. The check must be done on the Microsoft side because the list the information is validated against is very large (approximately one billion values). Once the product key hash and Product Id are verified, they are both discarded. Neither the product key hash nor the product ID are stored by Windows Update.
    To protect against product key cracks by software pirates, the product key used to install Windows XP will be included in the Installation ID for all activations completed after SP1 has been installed. "

Does this not mean any pirated copies of XP will be 'interogated' once SP1 is installed?

No, read the threads on top of this page. All your answers are there.

augie

I appreciate your quick help.
    Unfortunately I have been flying around these links for some time now and I cannot find the answer to this question.
    My apologies if I am missing the obvious - I can blame my saturday night out!!
    Thanks

As far as I know, they only banned 2 keys, which the Chinese were making money off of this. They will probably ban more in SP2. This only applies to corp version.

So if yours starts with FCKGW, then your copy is illegal. This is the most prevalent one. I have no idea about home or pro versions.

augie

Thread Information