Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Will Microsoft Lock out u out?

i heard that when u try to update ur computer with a pirated version of windows xp...that microsoft will lock out ur computer is that true??? is there anyway to disable that?? or anyway to disable the update so i wont by mistake try to update my computer, thanks- john

You have absolutley nothing to worry about friend... :)

But sure if you would like to disable the auto update function and handle it yourself if and when you'll need it do as follows:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Fail-safe way would be to open your 'Services' tool (in administrative tools) and set the auto update service to DISABLED. That way, it cant be started/called from anything but you.

Google 'XPAntiSpy'. Its a handy tool for disabling alot of the bullshat that comes with XP.

Where do people listen all this stuff...
    BTW i want to read that joke sight...:p
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

The only way I know of to COMPLETELY stop all of the Windows Update Service in Win2k is to follow the instructions here:

http://212.100.234.54/content/archive/26750.html

Again, the above is for Win2k ..... procedure may be slightly different for the e*X*tra *P*ainful Edition <grin>.

Well the solution is a gud one Jack and it works on the so-called e*X*tra *P*ainful Edition in just the same way as it does on Win2k...but ya know its not for some people out here who like to manually update their windows installation (including me ofcourse...:p ).
    Anyways...thanx for a gud link...another one in my favs...:D
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Asklepios:

As long as you realize that by doing it the way as described above with all the screen shots, does NOT turn off the snooping. The way WU works is that a) MS snoops your machine and stores the data on their server, b) they compare that data with their current list, c) they send a notice to your machine telling you you need updates d) they get downloaded to your machine and finally e) windows automatically installs them for you.

By "disabling" AU and selecting you "will do it manually" ONLY stops c, d and e.

It still lets BillG look inside your machine to see what you got and it still leaves a backdoor open to your computer.

I am almost "religiously fervent" about keeping all my software licenses legit and up to date but if an employee downloads a copy of a Natalie Inbruglia song and stores it on my HD, or he installs his personal copy of MS Word on his workstation for a day so that he can covert some old files to our company word processor, I as an employer don't want MS shutting down my box or deleting files from the machine. I know of no instance that this has happened but the EULA says they have the right to. So I just as soon stop his curious little eyes from looking inside my boxes because I have no control over what he will do with the info he finds there.

I can still go to the MS site and download, manually, whichever bug fixes and security patches I choose to install.

The bottom line is that MS can "lock you out", even if you don't use Windows Update. It would be a simple matter for them to have a critical update which includes coding to report back your serial number to MS the next time you use IE for example. They have a database of all the legitimate numbers sold and they could just deactivate your Windows.

But they won't so don't panic. Just do as mentioned above, and use XPAntiSpy to block out all the various prying eyes of MS.

Immortal Dude

>It would be a simple matter for them to have a critical update which includes coding to report back your serial number to MS the next time you use IE for example.<

I don't use IE <g>......

>They have a database of all the legitimate numbers sold and they could just deactivate your Windows.<

They would have to get past my firewalls first and they don't have a key....WMP and WU give them a key so I have not installed either. I have no problem with MS coming to my house and asking for all my docs and checking all my boxes for a legitimate copy of an OS and I have a legit Windows CD for every box here.

But I don't want my boxes shut down for a week cause they think I may have done something wrong...and I got to prove to them I am legit before I get them turned back on. The EULA of course excludes them from any "consequential damages" resulting fom my employyees sitting around twiddling btheir thumbs while I prove my case.

Looks like a nice little tool you've found there.

Jack

You're missing my point - they won't lock you out. They already can, but they won't as yet.

For example, if you use Windows Update I believe it already provides your serial # to MS - firewall or no firewall. That's why Windows Update doesn't work for the "Corporate" version of XP. However they haven't gone the extra step of comparing serial #'s to those they have on file as being "legitimate" (i.e. stamped on boxes and sold) and then locking out all non-legitimate users.

The current MS EULA includes something about being able to alter Windows as necessary, so they could also insert coding in a critical update (which I sure hope you're installing BTW) to disable your Windows if it's pirated, even if you don't use WU.

The bottom line is, don't live in fear of MS. They will always find ways to access your machine, as long as you use THEIR operating system. I agree with you that some of their requirements are morally and practically speaking stupid. The important thing is to take some basic precautions and try and remain legal as much as possible. MS will not (at least for now) get into the works of sorting out all the little violations of EULA and locking people out of their machines. This would scare the crap out of so many users they'd lose virtually all their business overnight, so it's highly unlikely.

Thread Information