Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: formating c: drive

Can anyone plz tell me how to format my c drive??thanx
    INTERNET IS BORRIINNG NOWADAYS.....THE GOVERNEMNT SHOULD INVENT SOMETHING NEW......

i mean how do u formatted wif win98(tell me how wifout the boot disc plz)
    :flames:
    INTERNET IS BORRIINNG NOWADAYS.....THE GOVERNEMNT SHOULD INVENT SOMETHING NEW......

You can't do it "wifout" ( :rolleyes2 ) a boot disk. It has to be accomplished with some sort of an operating system running. The boot disk accomplishes this by utilizing DOS. From there you can access formatting capabilities as well as fdisk to partition/repair the drive before reinstalling a new OS.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Will your system boot a CD natively??
    Set your BIOS to a boot order of CD, A, C -- just make sure CD is first.
    Shut down the system, place the Windows CD in the drive and power on. Does it bring up the options off the Windows CD?
    If not, you need a boot disk.

First,
    head over to http://support.microsoft.com/default...=fh;rid;kbinfo - about half-way down the page there is a box to put in an article number - type in 255867 - go there and print it. (it's about 15 pages, and gives you every possible detail on the use of FDisk to Format and Partition a drive.
    I'd link you there, but the URL won't work in this forum unfortunately.

Then once you have that, go to http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm and get the appropriate download. Open the executable file and get the neccesary files to a floppy.

Now, let's make sure that bootdisk is going to work!

Go into your BIOS and make sure your boot order is set to A: as the first drive.
    With your PC turned off, insert the boot disk into the floppy drive.
    Power up the system, you should see some jabber scroll across the machine after the floppy is being read.
    When that is finished you will see an A: prompt like this;
    A:>
    then type E: if the CDROM drivers have loaded properly you will then be taken to a E: prompt, like this;
    E:>
    If so, insert the Windows CD into the CD drive and type;
    dir
    Now, you should see a list of files on the CD

Note that the use of E: is only typical of a system with a single HDD with 1 partition --- the actual drive letter used will need to be adjusted for the number of partitions on C: and other drives on your particular machine.

If all goes well with this, then you have an actual boot floppy.
    Once you are sure you have a working bootdisk, you are ready to proceed -- if not, don't format yet -- you have to have a working bootdisk or you are toast.

Assuming it did work, then follow the directions in the pages you printed to format the HDD.

basically it goes like this;
    format C: /s

Hope this helps you, good luck with your first format:thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information