Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Ntfs

how can I make two NTFS partition on the same hard drive....thanx

If you're doing a clean install with XP, it's in the install procedure. If not, you can use something like Partition Magic($). Do back up.

augie

During Windows setup you can create partitions. If youve already installed windows however, simply right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'. Look for the 'Disk Management' heading and click on it. From here you can create and delete and well....manage your partitions.

What you cannot do however, is resize current partitions. You will need a 3rd party application (such as partition magic) to do that. As always- when messing with partitions, BACKUP important data!

If you are using XP, and wish to purchase/aquire partition magic, make sure you get a copy that is certified for XP use.

Yeah, I used Partition Magic once, but never again, it was XP compatible, and all I wanted to do is make the allocation unit size 32Kb to make it read much faster, but in exchange for about 200 Megs of slack, I got it all sorted out, it told me that it'll restart the computer to execute this procedure, it booted up fine at the POST screen, nothing going wrong, but then as it gets to about 40% converting from 4Kb to 32Kb, it all goes horribly wrong, it comes up with a bunch of errors.

So it freezes for about 4 mins, doing nothing what-so-ever, so I restart my computer only to find that it has messed up the data on my harddrive to the point that not even chkdsk could help it.

From there on I have never suggested using that program to anyone, I sent it back and got my money.

It may work for you, but do as 'augie10 & Bahamut Zer0' says, and make sure you backup everything that you may want to keep, as you my be in for a nasty surprise.

The best of luck to ya :thumb:

Another cheap way of making some partitions (but not resizing NTFS however) is to go grab a linux boot cd and do a dummy install. Mandrake works well if you arent too cluey on command-line tricks. It has a nice gui based fdisk that you can use to create partitions etc. After youve made/allocated the space, just write the info the the drive and then bail out of the installation. Exchange your linux cd for your windows cd (or just go ahead with the linux install...) :) and off you go.

Works well, and you dont have to go buy anything. (Apart from windows of course)

BEcause you already have to back up all your data in case something like partition magic ruins things, I would highly recommend that you just do a clean reformat and reinstall, specifying two NTFS partitions.

If you do things the right way in the first place, trust me this will lead to a lot less problems down the road. The partition magic way sounds like you may run into problems down the track, best to do it the way it was intended.

Ya know PI, now why didn't I think of that?:o On Partitionmagic, I never had any problems with it. I guess it's the luck of the draw. However, when you pay for something, It damn well should work. I guess caveat emptor.

augie

I have the same problem as Luka.
    I've tried Pq magic ( from vesrion 5 to 8 ), tried to create two partition using fdisk, formated first partition ( with no problem ), then tried to change second partition trought winxp (or win2000 ) disk format tools .... But I have not managed to make two NTFS partition on same drive.

I'm allso interested to get a working solution. Tnx

: peace:

Thread Information