Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webcam Freezing in XP

i think that the problem started from that tweak with the service WIA.
    It should be started when you are working with scanners or cameras. try changing that service to automatic and start it.
    that should work.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    i think that the problem started from that tweak with the service WIA.
    It should be started when you are working with scanners or cameras. try changing that service to automatic and start it.
    that should work.
    Problem started about 6 weeks ago way before attempting to change anything in the Services. I did though change it to Automatic and problems still occurs. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    ~~Laurie~~

Resurrecting an old thread. May have found the answer to the problem finally... at least for my system and thought I'd share it.

The following "cut and paste" comes from the FAQs on Via Arena's website:

Question:

I have a VIA chipset based motherboard and a USB Web Camera which freezes under Microsoft XP. What can I do?

Answer:

General trouble shooting suggestions:

1) Ensure that you have USB enabled in BIOS.

2) Upgrade to the latest available BIOS.

3) Ensure that you are using XP compatible drivers and software for the web camera.

4) If you have tried various versions of drivers and software, completely uninstall the drivers and software and reinstall only the latest available versions so there are no conflicts.

5) Try different USB ports.

6) Some programs have known issues with Windows XP WIA drivers. Information can be found here.

7) Read this Microsoft article on troubleshooting USB under XP for further advice.

8) If all of the above general troubleshooting have not resolved the issue and you have a motherboard with KT133 chipset, buy a USB add-on card or use a previous version of Microsoft operating system. If you have any other chipset, contact your motherboard manufacturer and/or your web camera manufacturer for further advice. If you have a KT133 based motherboard and all of the above general troubleshooting have not resolved the issue, the reason we advise that you should buy a USB add-on card or not use WinXP is because, at the time the KT133 chipset went into mass production, many web cameras and Microsoft's Windows XP operating system were not even available for compatibility testing. The vast majority of motherboards based on the KT133 chipset work with new USB web cameras and WinXP with no problems. Some motherboards, however, because of board design and layout, are not compatible and the incompatibility cannot be resolved. VIA appreciates that some end users may be unhappy about this situation. VIA and our motherboard partners have stringent compatibility procedures, however no manufacturer can guarantee compatibility with future products. Owners of these motherboards will notice that they are not certified for use with Microsoft XP.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information