Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinAMP or Windows MediaPlayer 9

Hi, what of this programs is the best???:confused:
    Thermaltake Xaser II A6000A, Pentium 4 2.4A GHz, 1 Gb Ram DDR PC 2100, Asus P4B533 Motherboard, Asus iPanel DeLuxe, Leadtek A250 LE TD GF4-Ti4200 128 Mb RAM, Pinnacle Systems Studio PCTV PCI, SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer, Promise Ultra 133TX2, Adaptec 2906, 3Com OfficeConnect 10/100 NIC (3CSOHO100B-TX), LiteON LTD-166S DVDRom, LiteON LTR-48246S CDRW, Iomega ZipDrive 250 ATA, Microsoft Office Keyboard, Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer, Linksys BEFSR41, Linksys WAP11, Samsung Syncmaster 753DFX, HP 920C, AcerScan 610 Plus.

That depends. I use WMP9 for all my internet stuff but I use WinAMP for playin' my audio files. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I myself use Winamp 2.81... easy on the system resources, stable, does the job quite well :)

Though for videos, I use DivX Playa or Windows Media Player 8.0... depends on what the movie requires :P

Winamp Classic can be stripped down to use less than 6meg of ram so it would be ideal for playing your music files. WMP9 is just as bloaty as all of MS products as of late, and doesnt do anything more than quality freeware players do. If youre worried about playing WMP9 content, then you can download the codec pack from microsoft and then (continue to) use your own player.

Ok, emotional stuff aside, the choice is yours. I prefer WMP9. Just because MS builds something doesn't automatically make it bloated.

I'm running WMP9 at the moment, I open Task Manager in WinXP and it says it is taking up 2.7MB of memory while idle and around 5MB while playing a 3MB audio file. That's not bloated.

I run Winamp3 playing the same audio file, it says it's using a range, from 4MB to 16MB of memory (and this is just the main Winamp window) while playing the song.

So objectively, neither player is bad. It just depends on which formats you prefer. Winamp3 plays OGG format, WMP9 does not for example. WMP9 has a better interface in my opinion and can shrink down to sit on your taskbar for easy access when open.

Both are free. Download both, try both and choose which you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    PersianI[/size]]
    Ok, emotional stuff aside, the choice is yours. I prefer WMP9. Just because MS builds something doesn't automatically make it bloated.
    I'm not the only one who's noticed then? :?:
    It's just such a shame that some are so emotional that it doesn't add to the subject but detracts from it. :rolleyes2

That's right Wiggo. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an MS fan or anything like that. In fact I hate the way they keep trying to force their software on us, and have the "protected media" rubbish in recent Windows Media Player versions.

However so far, having used WMP9 for over a week with a range of music and audio files, I can honestly say you can turn off all of these MS "features" in the Options, resulting in a very lean, and very good media player which plays all files.

I also have Realplayer, Quicktime, Winamp3 and WMP9 all installed on my system and they do not conflict or cause problems with each other. So install all of them and use whichever is the best for your tastes and purposes :)

I can add just Musicmatch Jukebox to that list (everything has it's uses). ;)

Musicmatch Jukebox? Never heard of it, but I bet it's bloated :D

It probably is but it rips my music CD's into MP3's quick enough which is the only real use that I have for it. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information