Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: xp upgrade

i have xp pro running and the 30 day grace period has expired. i do not have a valid key to use so i need to go out and buy the real deal. can i get away with just getting the xp home upgrade or do i need the whole package? thanks.

if the xp home is purchased legit it will come with a key. BUT you won't be able to use that key with the copy your running now. New installation of xp home..........

i understand i need to reinstall. here's the deal: a buddy lent me his copy of xp pro and since his is already registered, the original key will obviously not work for me. so rather than try and hack my way through this, im just gonna go out and buy xp home but there is a substantial price difference between "xp home upgrade" and the full "xp home edition." since i already have a version of xp running, can i get away with just the upgrade or do i need the full edition? thanks.

Beefy Guest

With XP Home upgrade, you won't be able to 'upgrade' from XP Pro to Home. You'll need to do a fresh install. Also, if you do purchase the upgrade version, you will need an original version of either Windows 98 / 98SE / Me. The installation process will ask you to insert the original media for one of these operating systems, hence the term 'upgrade'.

So just to clarify, XP Home Upgrade is identical to XP Home Full, except you'll need an original copy of Win98/SE/ME to do an install (preferably a clean install) of XP Home Upgrade.

the original OS that came with my system was 98 first edition so it would make most sense to do a clean install of that, then get the xp home upgrade, right? if so, any thoughts on how to go about doing a clean install of first edition 98 over xp pro? or is it highly probably my computer will just implode...

implode? No.......format yes.

Pop in a good ol' dos disk. Format ur hd pop in the 98 disk and type setup at the prompt. It takes care of it self from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ucbmiles
    the original OS that came with my system was 98 first edition so it would make most sense to do a clean install of that, then get the xp home upgrade, right? if so, any thoughts on how to go about doing a clean install of first edition 98 over xp pro? or is it highly probably my computer will just implode...
    It doesn't work that way. You don't need to (and SHOULDN'T) install Win98 (or any other OS) and then install WinXP Upgrade.

What you actually need to do is boot up from your XP CD, get to Windows setup from there, and then choose to reformat your HD (erase the current partition, then reformat it in NTFS) and then install WinXP. Keep your 98 CD handy as during the install WinXP UPgrade asks for it briefly to verify you owned a previous version of Windows.

i think that NT and 2000 disk will let you upgrade, not just the 9X.

so i can do a clean install with the upgrade? i dont need the full version?

Thread Information