Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: " found new hardware messages"

After upgrading to the new sp1 I keep getting a found new hardware message for a hp 3100 printer. It is looking for a a driver although the printer(multi purpose unit) is working. I have tried to reinstall the software and I still get the messages. There is also a message about a problem was detected while installing the hardware that comes up every time I turn on the computer. I finally installed a clean copy of xp on a separate drive and there was no message ; however I went to add a new printer and the whole mess started in the new installation. All I want is a way to turn off the messages as the printer works fine.

go to device manager.. control panel.. system.. hardware.. device manager..

there should be an unknown devices section. You can highlight the device you do not want detected and pull up its properties.. and disable from all hardware profiles..

danb it...it means i m not alone in this mess. i thought that my USB cable had static.
    tried by unplugging it and waiting for it to discharge. and hey Digital...no unknown devices in the device manager.
    can't figure out wats happening...
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Here's a variation on the same problem:

If I left the modem on when XP was booting it would find a 'new modem' every time. I ended up with about 6 modems plus the original modem in the profiles. I cured it by booting up with the modem off. That modem died in the course of time and I installed a new one.

Now if I leave the modem off during boot up (as is my habit) XP does not recognise it when I switch it on after booting and it does not appear in my profiles. I now have to switch the modem on before booting up so that XP knows it's there.

I have tried everything to cure it but to no avail!

Thread Information