Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Default search engine in IE6 - changing it?

alright spectrix...lets not get so :(
    if i got u right...u r getting a screen a like this one...
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

There is no customize button out there just cos you are already searching with a search companion (the thing that the tip wants you to do in the link you attached).
    anyways you can get the desired results...just follow the steps...
    Click on that "Change Preferences" link.
    In next screen click on "Change Internet search behaviour".
    Now click on the radio button that says..."With Classic Internet search".
    Click on "Ok" and close the IE window.
    Follow all the steps that are provided by that link now and you will be on track.
    I feel that this is quite a long method to do it and there must be a more reasonable way to do the same job but right now i could find just this one.
    another thing that i would like to mention is that no matter what search engine you chose, you will be redirected from msn only. you won't know about it but msn will search for you using google's engine. You will get results from google...don't worry about that.
    I hope it will give you the desired result...:cheers:
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Yep I've done all that, the problem is that it only lists different search egines in the left hand pane (for searching with the search key)

Once I go into the autosearch settings the only engine in the pull-down list is msn, or *blank*. See below.

And I've reinstalled IE6 3 times now, downloading it fresh from MS... I'm out of ideas..
    Thanks for you help so far everyone.

Spectrix, as I said I'm fairly sure it can't be done for the Australian users of IE without a script. That's because our autosearch panel is actually loaded from the MSN network! So of course it's unlikely they'll allow any other search engine, and try as I might I can't find a way to make any registry changes which affect where it looks.

The only other alternative I can think of it to set your region to US and try following the methods described above.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks dude.
    Do you think it's possible to copy part of an american registry over to my system?

The customize panel in question is at :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search - CustomizeSearch

Well I'm not sure if it's as simple as that, but if I delete that particular string value the customize panel ceases to exist.

Cheers

Joey.. from dodgy Oz

It doesn't work that way, but as long as you backup your registry why not give it a try. Basically I've tried everything I can think of in the registry (believe me I tried for an hour) and nothing will make it change the default search engine. There must be another way.

man this is strange...
    anyways after changing my default search engine to google the main change that i observed was not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE rather it was in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
    Look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant
    In that I have a String Value named "DefaultSearchURL" with its value set as "http://www.google.com/search?q=" while in another key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl there is a String Value named "provider" with value "gogl".
    After changing it to yahoo the values changed to "http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=" and "yaho" respectively.
    I don't know whether its the thing that changes the default search engine but give it a try...it might work...but do back up the registry.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

You legend! :kay:

All the other strings already said google, except this one :
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl "provider" my value was 'test'.
    I changed it to 'gogl' and now it searchs google from the address bar :thumb:

I still don't have any options in customize, and it's still set to MSN (apparently) but it searches google anyway... figure that one out?

Funny what you said about backing up the registry - I was mucking about for hours last night editing the registry and now I have script errors here and there :laugh:.
    Anyways I'm still reinstalling windows tonight, and I'll be setting everthing to US spec until explorer is setup properly.. that way I might even get options and not have to reg edit at all.

Thanks heaps for yout help Persion. and asklepios

its great that the thing worked...:)
    here's the list of all the search engines I have in the list and the provider code it sets in registry.
    LookSmart--->lksm
    Google Sites--->gogl
    InfoSpace Search--->infs
    AOL Search--->aols
    Yahoo!--->yaho
    MSN--->msn
    Altavista--->alta
    Ask Jeeves--->askj
    Netscape Search--->nets

Now you can have all the engines we have...:D

and hey...best of luck for that windows reinstall...:thumb:
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thanks dude :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information