Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Changing IRQs

My AGP vid card and my onboard sound are sharing the same IRQ, I've got several not being used. How do I get one of the them to move to an open irq? Running on an MSI Kt4 Ultra mobo

I have the same problem...
    Onboard netword adapter and USB controller share the same IRQ.
    I can't disable any of them. I don't know the solution but will just bump ya back.
    Both of us might get lucky and someone might help us...:confused:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

asklepios all my rigs share their nic IRQ with the USB controller and I don't have any probs with this as networking protocols are loaded for both and rarely interfere with each other (if they do just change the nic). ;)

3dboiler check your motherboard manual first about the AGP/PCI shares but you may have to separate them by cancelling the os's control of this feature which will also mean a format and reinstall in Standard PC mode usually. Though do uninstall both and any software before making changes in the BIOS for them. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Good news: I've got full details on IRQs in my 2nd XP Guide (soon, very soon guys hold on!).

Bad news: I've found that the only truly effective method to fix IRQ sharing under Windows XP is freeing up resources and doing a reinstall of Windows. WinXP is different from other Windows in that even if you free up resources and shift stuff around, XP will reallocate IRQs as it sees fit, so a reinstall is really necessary.

Full details and instructions in my new guide :)

kewl PI...we all are waiting for it m8...:cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Before that, you'd better disable overclock on your videocard, and install VIA 4in1 drivers first after reboot by changing ACPI to stand PC(if your motherboard is VIA product). TAKE your risk.

Note that some people find that disabling ACPI means they lose all power management functions.

This procedure, submitted by Steve Aucoin, will allow you to disable ACPI without reformatting:

1. Disable PNP OS and ACPI in your BIOS, if you can (you may not be able to, and it is not always necessary) - if the option is not available try installing the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. You can get help with finding out what BIOS you need and instructions as to how to flash it at Wim's BIOS page.

2. Reboot. Go to Control Panel - system -Hardware and double click on Computer in the hardware manager.

3. You'll see ACPI - get into its properties and click to install another driver. When prompted, look under the Microsoft section and install the "Standard PC" driver.

4. Reboot. At this point Win2k will try and reinstall all devices on your system so install any drivers you are prompted for (have them all handy) and reboot. Finalise any drivers you may be prompted for on the 2nd boot and reboot again.

With all your drivers re-installed, take a look in hardware manager - and every device should have its own IRQ.

Be warned that this method is discouraged by Microsoft - see the note at the bottom of this Knowledge Base article.

I DO NOT recommend disabling ACPI. For starters, aside from losing a lot of power management functions built into ACPI, you cannot get it back without reinstalling Windows.

Disabling ACPI to remove two shared IRQs is like shooting yourself in the head to stop a headache...the "solution" is worse than the problem in the first place.

Just wait for the guide...your machine won't explode in 2 or 3 days, so you can wait till then and see what I've researched and what exactly IRQs are, how many IRQs can actually be taken on which IRQ #s, etc.

Thread Information