Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My PC wont Boot.

On my main PC I am using Win XP Pro + SP1 on an Athlon 1700XP with a 60 gig Seagate 7200 & a Geforce 3D video card with no probs until yesterday.

Last night I was having trouble opening Web pages so I rebooted with no result, It counts the memory & recognises the drives until it gets up to the point of "Verifying DMI Pool data" then nothing, just a black screen.
    F8 does'nt work so I cant get into Safe mode, but I can get into the BIOS, I have tried booting to the Win XP Pro CD and to a floppy with no luck, it just wont boot to anything.

The only thing that I've done different lately is, I did a cleansweep and drive Optimisation with Norton Systemworks yesterday morning.

Can anyone help please?

Two things to try:
    Reset the bios to the default settings. Reboot, check the settings, HD detected correctly? Ram detected correctly?

If no progress, crack the case, carefully reseat the cables, reseat the cards, reseat the ram. keep a part of your arm touching the case or use a wrist strap during this process. Remember, bios means hardware not your OS.
    Good luck.

Thanks mate, I'll try it, though I think with the exception of the CDRom set as the first boot, the settings are default.

Hi frman,
    I did as you suggested and it recognised the Ram and Drives ok as before and still hit the wall at "verifying DMI pool data"
    Thanks anyway.

To frman

Thank you for the url http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

It was most helpful, I checked each step and believe I have solved the problem, after exhausting all other avenues I replaced the Hard Drive with the one from this PC and it booted perfectly, so it appears the HD is dead.

The drive is a 60 Gig Seagate, 7200 included in the new PC I purchased in July 2002, I will return it to the retailer when next in Sydney in a week or two, hopefully it will be replaced under warranty.

Thanks again for your help and thanks to Tweaktown for being such a great Forum.
    Al
    :cheers:

Thread Information