Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP wont recognize my burner

Windows XP is not recognizing my cd-rw for some reason... it's a very old burner but i do not have the money right now to purchase a new one...
    WIndows 2000 find sit no problem so i have to boot into 2000 in order to burn... very annoying....
    If i go to device manager in XP it will find it for 2 secs and then it dissapears again...
    If anyone has any idea please share...
    Could it be a BIOS problem? or is my burner just not supposrted by XP? Its a cicereo burner... 3 years old maybe.... anyhow thanx =) :afro:
    Athlon XP 2100+
    80 gig Seagate Baracuda
    Abit kd7133
    64MB Saphire ATI Radeon 9100 4x
    256MB DDR
    8xDVD/4x2x24CD-RW
    Windows XP Pro+SP1, 2000 Advanced Server, Mandrake 9.0

When you say Windows recognises it, what exactly does it say/show for those 2 seconds? A yellow exclamation mark?

Even though it's an old burner doesn't mean it won't be supported. Windows will usually install some generic drivers for older devices and everything should be fine, especially if it runs under Win2000.

In your BIOS try changing the IDE Channel the Burner is on to a lower UDMA or even PIO setting.

actually when it notices it for those two secconds it doesnt show a yellow qustion mark it appears as it normally would... but then it just dissapears... i will try ur idea about the ide settings thanx...
    Athlon XP 2100+
    80 gig Seagate Baracuda
    Abit kd7133
    256MB DDR
    8xDVD/4x2x24CD-RW

Is the CDRW the master of the IDE channel or have ya got the DVD as the master? :?:
    If the later then swap them around as burners need to be master of the channel to operate properly. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

ohhh hmm i will try that... also i read somewhere that nero 5.0 often causes issues with burners when it is used on windows XP.... so im gunan try removing nero and switching to easy cd creator as well.... wish me luck and thanx ;)
    Athlon XP 2100+
    80 gig Seagate Baracuda
    Abit kd7133
    256MB DDR
    8xDVD/4x2x24CD-RW

Actually, if you suspect it's because of Nero, a similar thing happened to me a while back. I don't think this is the same problem, but the solution to it is here. Try it anyway, it can't hurt.

Thanx for ur help guys... and Wiggo thanx for reminding me about making my cd-rw as the master... that was the problem... all fixed .... :thumb: :cheers: : peace:
    Athlon XP 2100+
    80 gig Seagate Baracuda
    Abit kd7133
    256MB DDR
    8xDVD/4x2x24CD-RW

Wiggo is cool, He knows his stuffs:cheers:

Thread Information