Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows keeps restarting randomly!!

Quote Originally Posted by perseus
    Persian~
    What do you mean by 2 different types of RAM? I have one stick of 2100 DDR 256 MB corsair, and one stick of 2100 DDR 512 MB OEM.
    That's what I mean - two separate brands of RAM. This can cause problems because different RAMs mixed together have different tolerances for speed for example due to differing quality.

Search more closely in you BIOS as every BIOS has RAM timing settings, like CAS-RAS delay etc. Somewhere you should have the option to set RAM timing to 'By SPD' or Auto.

When u say that PC 2100 can only support 133 mhz is that the FSB speed? The mobo im thinking about buying is the ASUS A7V8X. Whats the highest FSB can i run the mobo at with PC 2100 DDR?
    Depending on the RAM quality (i.e. more expensive brands=better quality), a PC2100 stick does 133MhzFSBx2 = 266Mhz by default. Pushing it any higher than that means you're going beyond spec and if the RAM isn't great, and especially if there's two brands mixed together, it's likely you'll have problems.

From the error you're reporting it's likely a general hardware problem, like the RAM.

Well I've had the two different sticks for quite a while now and I havent had problems until about a week or so ago. I'll try removing the OEM and see if the problem still occurs. Im goin to bed now, but thx for all of yall's help. good night

If as you say it's started happening recently have you made any BIOS changes, or overclocked higher? If not then it might be a driver-related error.

Also when was the last time that ya cleaned the case out? :?:

I've had this happen before using two diffrent sticks of ram (actually, far diffrent 32mb and 128mb) And randomly crashed, when I got around to getting 2 sticks of crucial. It happened when starting up Quake, or Half life, I changed my video aperature, and it was fine. (just buffer overloads, and bad software dragging explorer down with it) But this might not be the problem.

If you say this has just started happening, think of any, minor, or major changes you have made with your settings, hardware configuration, or any programs you've installed, or have been running in the background.

Perhaps you should try running the corsair ram by itself, for a day or so. I know it sucks, but..it's a surefire way to find out if that pesky oem ram is the problem. I'll see about running those error codes, but.. Random shutdowns to me sounds like XP freaking out and restarting when something crashes. So, if you havent, turn off that annoying feature. I've had to restart my computer too many times due to that feature (beta software :rolleyes:) But, other that what you guys have covered, I can't think of anything else.

But the only way we'll find the root of the problem, is to trace your history.
    Work in progress..
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (@1.72ghz higher soon..)
    Gigabyte GA7VAXP (VIA KT400)
    256mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    GeForce 4 MX420 (too broke to replace it with a real card)

ya i just cleaned my comp out yesterday.

as far as changes that i made its kinda a long story. Like two months ago everytime I started playing half life and tried to join a server, my computer would crash and i would have to restart. Everytime. no exceptions. Also nortan antivirus said I had a virus called w32.HLLP.handy, which affected .exe files. So I thought that the best way to fix this mess was to just reformat my hard drive and then brand new. So I reformated it and put windows xp back on and everything was good for like a month. And then it started going bad again, w/o any changes to the system. Counterstrike doesnt join servers (it doesnt restart the comp, but it never connects) and randomly my comp will restart (not anymore now that I've disabled automatic restart, but I still get the stop error). Also I installed a new game (civ3) and it won't run properly although it runs fine on my older comp that is right next to me.

So I'm really clueless as to what the problem is. I dont think it would have anything to do with the mobo...i'll try only using only the crucial ram, maybe that will fix it. Do you think it could still be the same virus? well thx for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information