Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows keeps restarting randomly!!

This happens about once a day maybe more. Randomly my computer will just restart in the middle of something as if I had pressed the restart button (which I didnt, and the button is not stuck or anything). The only consistancy I can find is that it usually restarts when I open something, like a song or IE. Anyway as u could imagine this is very FRUSTRATING and ANNOYING!!!! Also i dont know where to start to fix this one, so ur advice is much appreciated

DO you have your computer set to automatically reboot? What OS are you running and what kind of specs do you have? IE amount of ram.....

I didn't know there was a setting for automatic reboot so i would say no its not. im running XP home, AMD Athlon XP 1800, 768 MB PC2100 DDR Ram, and Geforce 3 Ti200. My mobo is an FIC, but the interesting thing about it is that it wont boot when I run it at 133 mhz FSB, so i have to run it at 100 mhz. This causes my processor to only run at 1.14 ghz instead of 1.53. I'm going to buy a new mobo today so thats not really a problem...but do u think the mobo could also be causing the comp to reboot?

The only fic that I owned personally I had problems with lol. What board is it? The board I had was an AD11.

But anyway. No if you didn't know there was a setting then it is set to automatically reboot becuase that is the default. Hit the advanced tab under the properties of my computer. Then go to start up and recovery. And uncheck automatically restart. Next time it crashes you should see a BSOD that's if that is even the problem. It might just innocently rebooting. But if you do get a bsod right down the error message.

Anway what model number board do you have? What temperatures are you running. And stuff like that.

just off the top of my head, I have to wonder if this could be a heat related issue:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I also have an AD11, it really is a pos. But anyway the temp isnt 2 bad usually under 100 F.

Those temps are fine. You should be ok up to about 140-10. THe processors reaches its max (death) at an assumed 180.

Random reboots are usually due to RAM. Are you using 2 different types of RAM together? Are your RAM timings supported by your RAM - use 'By SPD' in the BIOS to be safe for the moment. DO you have a RAM 'Command Rate' setting in the BIOS, and if so, have you set it to 2T to be safe?

If you motherboard is having problems then yes that is a likely source of the trouble. If you get a new one, make sure your RAM can support the speeds it provides, as DDR 2100 can only really go to 133Mhz (=266Mhz due to DDR) safely. Beyond that you need better quality and faster RAM to hit higher speeds.

Also, check to see if you've got your Error Reporting set for auto reboot. (Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup & Recovery Settings>untick Automatically Restart under System Failure).

Also go Start/Control Panel/Admin Tools/Event Viewer and look there for any major probs logged there as it its usually more helpful than the BSOD as what sometimes causes the BSOD can be related to more than just what the error says. So give us whatever ya can find in the viewer as well as the BSOD error. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Persian~
    What do you mean by 2 different types of RAM? I have one stick of 2100 DDR 256 MB corsair, and one stick of 2100 DDR 512 MB OEM. As for the BIOS settings I couldn't find any that u mentioned. The only ones regarding RAM were SDRAM Timing which was set to manual and an option for OS select for DRAM > 64MB which is set on non-OS2. I went ahead and unchecked the automatic restart box

When u say that PC 2100 can only support 133 mhz is that the FSB speed? The mobo im thinking about buying is the ASUS A7V8X. Whats the highest FSB can i run the mobo at with PC 2100 DDR?

Wiggo~
    When my comp restarts it stores an error in the event viewer. The description is:

Error code 0000000a, parameter1 00828282, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 804f5b6c.

Category: (102); Event ID: 1003

Every time it restarts the same error code is created.

Thx for the help :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information