Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Media Codecs again

Hi Guys looking for more suggestions ....

I dl the latest Nemo codec pack and installed it .... after doing so any media player I tried to play either through win media player, quicktime, realplayer etc ... came up with messages of format not recognised ... so anyways I de-installed it .

So I sort of am back at square 1 ..... certain mpegs and avi's that my wife has downloaded only come up with music and not the actual video ... media player starts to download something ... gets to 100 % and starts playing the file .... and still no video only sound ...

I have downloaded the latest media player 9 codecs but no luck ...

Is there any other player I could try using for avi's or mpegs or any other codec packs that unlike the nemo ones actually work ?

Thanks in advance

:cheers:

here, this is what I use and this is what you might need. I made some movies using certian codecs and had the same problem youre having.

I use divx codecs now and all my movies play without any problems.

http://www.divx.com/software/

are these movies that won't play back with sound from some filesharing service?

i've seen some that require an SMR patch. but most of those movies are illegal as many of them aren't out in theatre's yet..

here is a bit of input i found for you...

There are several flavours of the codec such as SMR, FlaskMPEG, Microcrap, etc and if the videos are encoded with any of these, you would need to have the relevant codec installed. Since these codecs are very similar at the core, the player may open the file anyway and not display any picture. If the codecs seem to be the problem, try downloading and installing the Codec Pack of ELISOFT from http://codecpack.elisoft.net/
    (Really kewl package, look for all the inclusions it offers in the list provided on the page.)
    Another problem, though unlikely, could be with the video files themselves if they are DivX files. Some video files get corrupted during transfers or encoding software add unnecessary headers. Open the file using VirtualDub (www.virtualdub.org) and save it as a different file using the "Direct Stream Copy" option for video and audio. This will cut out unnecessary bytes from the file that the player may not understand.

I hope it helps...
    Please note that I haven't used virtualdub myself but read about it somewhere. Found it relevant in your situation so here it is...
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

:p

Thanks for all the help guys .. I have dloaded all the relevant software at work and will check it out on my home computer on the weekend .. will let you know how I go ...

As for the movies I am trying to play .. well they are not illegal in a manner of speaking ... my wife downloads dawsons creek episodes that arnt shown here in Australia as well as video clips of her favourite songs ...

check out the forums at this link. http://forum.digital-digest.com/

you can find EVERYTHING there.

"are these movies that won't play back with sound from some filesharing service? i've seen some that require an SMR patch. but most of those movies are illegal as many of them aren't out in theatre's yet.."

That's just a lot of bull, make sure you have the latest Nimo pack installed, version 5.xx in that pack you'll get divx 5.02 etc etc, you may want to check wether it's xvid you are missing due to the fact that this new format starts showing up more and more often, it gives a great quality but is pretty mean to your cpu and works absolutley best above 1500 Mhz depending on your videocard.

Check out this link where you also find the latest xvid that works and how to correctly install and use it: ;)

http://trendprofi.bei.t-online.de/xvidhelp.htm

Lexsis ... thanks much for the link .. your right they do have everyhting there ... I dloaded some more analysis software and codec pacs ... I will try them out tonite at home and I'll let u know how I go ..

The_tweaker .. thanks for the suggestion but I found that the latest Nemo pac sucked big time .. as I mentioned, I installed it and then nothing worked at all ..

One extra question I do have is how do you find out what Codecs you have installed on a XP system ? and where are they installed ?

Thanks in advance once again

Thread Information