Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How do I uninstall Windows XP Tour, Movie Maker, Windows Mes

I am running windows XP on my laptop which has a very small hard drive (6GB).

Can I uninstall programs such as the XP Tour and Movie Maker to free up some space?

I cannot locate these programs in the add/remove software and windows components.

Please help, thanks !

Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

If you can't find them in Windows Components under Add/Remove then you may be out of luck. In XP SP1 Microsoft was forced to introduce the option of uninstalling major Windows components like Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and Messenger.

Try all the obvious stuff like turning off or cutting back the size of System Restore, the Virtual Memory, use cleaners which I link to in my first WinXP Guide to delete all temp and useless files etc. Try getting rid of any unused Windows .WAV files and Wallpaper .BMP files, etc.

If you use another media player, remove Windows Media Player, and also remove a lot of the Windows Accessories too.

Thanks for the replys ~!! I followed the tweaking guide and successfully deleted some of the programs.

Now I just did the SP1 on my laptop and noticed it took up 500MBs of extra space !!!

Did it create a huge restore point or temp files?
    I choose not to archieve the files during the install if that matters at all.

How do I get rid of the restore points or temp files created during the install of SP1?

Thanks!

SP1 does create a restore point by default. just turn off your system restore function for once and you will delete all the previous restore points and effectively all the previous files. you can turn system restore "On" once you delete your old points and you have got a new restore point but a smaller one this time.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

If you really need the space, you can also delete the folder (and all subdirectories):

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles

Though this is not usually recommended for anyone but the truly space desparate! If you need to do it, do it once you've installed and changed every single aspect of Windows that you think you need to.

The service pack files directory contains the updated Windows SP1 files which Windows needs to access from time to time when installing/uninstalling Windows components and when certain options are select for example.

Thread Information